A little help from my friends

So...I have 2 amazing friends at church, and from 1 of them I heard that the other had made a side comment that she wished that I could just "get over this"...ok, I have been battling with ED for over 20 years. I spoke with my therapist about this this morning, and she really wants me to talk with my friend who made the comment on Sunday when I see her. But I am really worried about how to approach her withough hurting her feelings. I know she doesn't understand. This disease is not logical, it doesn't make sense to people who are not walking in our shoes. How can I make her understand something that doesn't make sense?

Any ideas? I love her, and I want her to know that this is not something I can just "get over"

I would just start out letting her know that you suffer from this illness. You don't have to let her know that you heard her talking to someone else.

She will either talk to you more about or she will confide in you. She may even wait to talk to you about it too.

Good Luck.

I know just how you feel. I have suffered to various degrees from anorexia for 10 years. Im 24. My mum and sister also have a similar attitude to this disease as your friend seems to i.e. that I should just "get over it". It really hurts because I am TRYING and if it was that easy I would certainly grab recovery and run in the opposite direction away from anorexia as soon and as fast as I could. I so badly WANT to be better, but it takes work too, alot of work. I think thats what people dont understand, that there is so much more to this disease than just food and numbers, its the underlying distorted thoughts, behaviours, self-beliefs and patterns that keep this awful disease present in our lives.

Wouldnt it be great if we could just wave a magic wand and "get over it"? Id be waving that wand like crazy if such a wand existed.