Alzheimer's Disease - Rising Tide

This article discusses how medication can help slow the progression of Alzheimer's if caught in the very early stages;

"By the time that Alzheimer's dementia develops, tangles of tau proteins have twisted through the brain, starving cells of needed nutrients. The cerebral cortex is shriveled. The hippocampus has shrunk substantially. Ventricles expand with fluid, filling the empty space.

Atrophy continues until the ability to perform even basic functions, such as speaking, swallowing and walking, are lost.

If physicians diagnose the condition before dementia sets in, medication can delay the progression of symptoms. But many patients with the disease go untreated or receive medication too late...."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/12/20/prsa1220.htm

Source: ama-assn.org, 12/20/10

puppy

the biggest problem here i find is that its hard to make the break betwn the illness and symptoms of old age.

as u get older u expect to get more forgetfull, not be as steady on your feet etc

as always loving thoughts and positive vibes
D :)

to me, I still find it quite puzzling as to how you can have one 80 year old that it completely crippled by dementia and another 80 year old that's totally self sufficient.

puppy

im debating if its where we live how we live or just a combination of the two, or mayb its a mindset that we need to avoid if we feel old mayb it hastens the disease

take babs and enid from group babs is the soul carer for her 50 year old daughter and is spritely whilst enid who is ten years babs jnr is worn out and already suffering arthiritis and ailments but she has other children to care for her 43 year old if anything happens to her

so who knows what causes it

It's so hard to determine what causes it. My friend's mother has advanced Alzheimer's and her doctor, who is the head of Neurology for a major hospital, has spent his entire career [including residency] on the study of this disease alone. He said that he has no idea what causes it exactly.

My grandmother has dementia though her two sisters, who are just a few years younger, are totally fine and self sufficient. My grandmother needs 24/7 care, whereas her sisters live on their own, drive, shop and travel. The only differentiating factor that we, as a family, have found is having purpose in life. My grandmother lived on her own, all kids and grandkids off and on their own, and she became less and less social as time went on, to the point where she sometimes wouldn't see people for extended periods of time. The dementia came on quickly and it's been a very fast decline for the past 1.5yrs.

puppy

so mayb its an inclusive thing u need a purpose and drive to be able to create a lifestyle that doesnt diminish as u get older so i can expect enid to have it whilst babs will be going strong and prob outlive her child then fade fast

sorry to hear about your grandma its always worrying when u cant help out because there is no answers for what has happened

Thank you so much Domestic! I think that it's generally healthy to create and have continual purpose. My mother will be retiring soon and I can see the worry in her as to what the next stage of life holds, but we are always talking about ways to continue onto the next stage with lots of new fulfillment. Things such as charity work, group exercise, pets, and so on.