Amputee Implant Technology

Have you ever had questions about were Implant Technology is today? Did you know that it was already a reality and not simply some unattainable dream of the future?

Dr Munjed Al Muderis of the Osseointegration Group of Australia will be speaking in Los Angeles on February 8th & 9th. Friday's presentation is for Medical Professionals and Saturday's presentation is open to Amputees and the public. Space is limited, so please RSVP.

Both presentations are free and a working Dinner and Lunch will be provided.

Click the following link to see the flyer: http://www.gimpman.com/feb-8th--9th---los-angeles.html

Come see for yourself what this amzaing technology has done for a number of amputees worldwide and meet Implant recipient Mitch Grant of Sydney, Australia.

I hope to see you there!

I read about this years ago. It seemed interesting to me. I thought about it. But, at the time there wasn't anyone in the United States performing the surgery. It would offer better control I think of the prosthesis. I like the idea of nothing having to have a socket. But, the cost in having this surgery is elective as of a few years ago. It would be nice if insurance would help pay the cost. Just like if you were going into the hospital to have surgery done. In the end it would cut down on the cost of prosthetics. In the end would save the insurance industry money.

It's still not available in the US but research is being conducted here and its becoming common in other countries. Insurance pays in those countires and some of their public systems pay as well. The price isn't over the top. Remember what a c-leg cost when it first came out. Most insurance companies wouldn't even pay for one.

Hi,
I’m new to the group. I’m a Registered Nurse. I lost my left arm below the elbow 2 yrs. ago. I was a hospice and home health nurse for yrs. I’ve been following the limb transplants. They have been successful in Germany and Mexico. At last, the first limb transplant in the U.S. was performed approx. 3 - 4 months ago on a mother in her 40’s who lost all 4 limbs due to the “flesh eating” bacteria. It took a team of 12 surgeons. I have a list of their names. Due to my background, I know most insurances pay according to the careful wording/request for pre-authorization. I also know this because I was the first person in the country to successfully sue an insurance co. for malpractice. The American woman waited approx. one month while waiting for limbs the correct size, etc. I’ve thought about the pros and cons. There will be many anti-rejection drugs one will have to take the rest of her life. Many side effects from the drugs and the chance rejection occurs could lead to the loss of my upper arm, infection (the meds weaken the immune system) or death. Some of the pros include a shorter waiting period for transplant. The list for heart, kidney, etc. is much longer. Another consideration, most people are so judgmental, diseases are stereotyped. if one decides attempting transplant, note for the time being, it will receive Nat’l attention. Some news org. seem to strive on tabloid news ie. focus on the individual’s “skeletons in the closet” rather than the positives aspects and hope for future transplants…