Are you one of the 1 in 3 women who have undergone hysterectomy by age 60

If you are, have you experienced some of the common effects of the surgery, such as lower back pain, profound fatigue and diminished or loss of sexual feeling? Other effects? The other common symptoms women report after hysterectomy can be read at www.hersfoundation.org.

If you were told you need a hysterectomy, and didn't have one, please tell us about it. If you have undergone a hysterectomy, what was the reason for the surgery? What have you experienced since the surgery?

Watch the short video "Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs" at www.hersfoundation.org/anatomy.

I had a hysterectomy at age 37. I had a history of endometriosis, ovarian cysts, uterine tumors, cryosurgery, displasia, a still-born (at 8 months with a cervical tear), a violent miscarriage (4 months), a c-section and one vaginal delivery.

It was a relief to have the surgery. Afterwards, I was no longer anemic and much of the abdominal pain I was experiencing went away. Before the surgery even walking was painful much of the time.

Everything seemed fine until 2008 - when I experienced a prolapsed bowel. This lead to major abdominal surgery in the Spring of 2009. I am now living with chronic intestinal issues.

I am hoping to find someone out there that can relate.

i recently had a total hysterectomy i am 45 years old. I had just started having 2 periods a month.I also had severe painful cramping for most of my life since age 11 and a half. My bleeding was usually heaviest on the second to third day but not out of control. I had a small cist on my right ovary. I was mostly just sick of the pain i had endured for years and cramping and had just started having the 2 period over the last 2 months so i though a hysterectomy at my age would be the answer. I had 4 children already and was looking forward to no more periods. I did no research which i learned would bite me later. Since the surgery i have become severly depressed. I have lost all sexual function and sensation. I am numb below. My Clitoris burns constantly but on the inside like it's wired wrong. I have to pee constantly. It is hard to tell when i have to have a bowel movement the sensation is different now.I am always constapated now. All your organs shift because you have parts missing now. Your belly sticks out like your pregnant. I feel so awful about myself now. I have started losing hair and my skin is drying. I have also noticed puffiness and wrinkles under my eyes. I can no longer sleep because of the lack of progestron in my system. I am on hormone replacement therepy which is helping with the hot flashes and night sweats. I am now warning any women i can to search for other options. I wish i could go back 6 weeks ago and not have this surgery it has for ever changed my life! I don't know what my future holds now because of my choice. Please if you are reading this spread the word to your girlfriends and tell them to do the same. DON'T GET A HYSERECTOMY!!!!

My hysterectomy was the best thing in my life. It has helped me have a better quality of life. I had a period that lasted 8 months straight- NO STOPPING. from the time I started having peiods at age 12 mine were always heavy, with severe enough cramping that I had actually passed out from pain.

Afterward I actually have had no menopausal symptoms. I had it in Jan. 2004. No hot fashes, no mood swings (other than my reg bipolar ones), no protruding stomoch, no bowel changes. Yes my organs have shifted. That's normal. I've just had the normal hormonal changes that happen because I had my ovaries removed also. Thinning skin, dry skin(I use lotion & keep myself hydrated to keep it from being too dry).

Not all the negative things that happen after ANY type of surgery will happen to everybody. Yes people should look at all their options, but listen to your Drs also & make an informed decision based on everything best for yourself.

Starhope, I'm sorry that you were not able to find a doctor to diagnose and treat the medical problem that caused your symptoms instead of removing your female organs.

Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) and castration (removal of the female gonads, the ovaries) is a drastic surgery. The vast majority of hysterectomies are not life saving or life improving.

For more information about what women report about what they experienced after hysterectomy go to www.hersfoundation.org/effects.html.

FYI the problem was diagnosed & I got three separate different opinions as to what to do. After undergoing other treatments FIRST this was the LAST resort. So I did not go into this blindly. I do NOT regret this for a minute. Even though I was depressed about not having children AT FIRST, I have found other ways to enjoy them, including working with Toddlers at my church and working as a Girl Scout leader. I know this is not the same as being a mom, but I enjoy what I have. I am also an aunt to four wonderful young men and a god-mother to two beautiful girls & two awesome little boys. I have worked through the rest of the feelings. I am quite happy with my decision . And no one can take that from me.

Hello, I have a request. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and I am looking to start a post-hysterectomy support group. I work for the Whole Woman Center, and we are dedicated to women's health. We hold classes teaching women about thier bodies and how to live more organic and empowered lifestyles. I am looking for women who would be interested in meeting in person in our gorgeous yoga space, eat good food, and share about their experiences. We are trying to publish a body of work about women who go through this, and your friendship and help would be invaluable. We are also dedicated to helping women with prolapse, which, unfortunately can be an after-effect of a hysterectomy.

Please contact me if you are interested.

The Whole Woman Center on Facebook is a great place to meet other women, and try wholewoman.com as well.