At the height of my agoraphobia I was able to push myself in

At the height of my agoraphobia I was able to push myself into going to the store, but I couldn't talk to anybody there and I always spent the night before so stressed I couldn't sleep. Trips to the dentist or the doctors where I knew I had to talk to somebody would keep me awake for several nights prior to the appointment and when I would get home I would spend hours crying. The only way I got past my agoraphobia was to think of the people I might encounter as just passing moments. That it didn't matter what I did or they did, because in two seconds they will have forgotten all about it anyway. Thanks to this detachment I have lived the last few years increasingly comfortable with going out and interacting. But now people are getting friendly. Not just being nice and polite, but wanting to be friends. The detachment that I had developed for coping is being compromised and I am beginning to feel those old twangs of panic when I know I am going someplace where one of these friendlies might be. Worse, I have given in to the fear a few times already and deliberately went somewhere else to avoid the situation. I worry that if I let myself continue the agoraphobia will come back, but then I wonder if I ever really got over it in the first place.

1 Heart

https://www.anxietybc.com/.../self-help-strategies-agora...

1 Heart

Hi and congratulations on overcoming it for awhile. That's a positive. Are you on any kind of medication? It sounds like you can develop another coping strategy that will work since the last one did. Have you tried just being honest with the people and telling them? I know that's hard and it sucks because they can't really understand what we go through. I use self talk constantly to get through every day. It gets old doesn't it. I fully sympathize with you and am here to listen and help if I can :)

2 Hearts

I have never met anyone with my problem!!!! I don't feel so alone anymore.

2 Hearts