Daughter

I am confused and shocked. My daughter came out to me about her sexuality on facebook!! We both have had a very open relationship about sex and all that in the past, and when I found out, I think I handled it graciously. I told her that I will love her no matter what now and forever and all I want is for her to be happy and safe. I do feel though, hurt quite a bit that I had to find out like that, instead of her communicating with me privately first. And now I am really in shock, because last night her roommate contacted me and told me that Michelle attempted suicide last night! She is 18, but still my "baby"! She does have bipolar disorder, but I just don't know how to handle all this at one time. I am not mad.. just scared, frustrated and self loathing. Any suggestions or ideas?

i'm sorry that you are experiencing so much pain, confusion, and shock. i'm not a parent, but i am an 18 years old. my parents went through some of what youre going through. i just wanted to let you know that youre not alone on their behalf. i have a very good relationship with my mom, but sometimes i don't know how to express myself. they have been through alot, ive tried to kill myself 13 times, and i feel aweful for doing that to them. its not against them though. when someone has suicide on their mind, they feel so hopeless and they can't see any other solution. all they want to do is end the suffering. this is not your fault in the way you raised her. i'm bipolar also and know that that is big factor in how you view life.

i can tell from your post that you are a very loving mom, and your daughter knows this. all you can do is keep on being supportive of her.

i'm here to talk or listen, whatever you need.

~hopeless

I am a 30 year old woman that has lived with two partners for 13 years. I was very lucky to have very supportive people in my life both as parents and as lovers. I understand that it is a struggle to be a parent of someone who is coming out. It is not a hopeless situation... All there is in both of your stories is hope. The hope of self exploration and realization from your experiences. You must focus on who you and your family are evolving into and where you will be in the future. You have endless potential for happiness. all you need to do is embrace it.

Dr. Mitchell