Day OneTrying to start being sober

Alcohol has become a daily activity for me since having my two smallest children and getting married. After they (the kids) go to bed, I (and my husband) pick up the bottle and start drinking. I'm not the same person I once was, and I'm definitely not happy. I cannot seem to not drink for more than 1 day...I have tried A.A. but the meetings just make me want to drink more....I figured I could find some help online...

I have a few questions???
(1)....The first day I stop drinking (today) I am always nervous b/c I have severe night sweats. I get so uncomfortable and cannot sleep. Did anyone else have this problem, and how did you deal with it?

(2) The second day of trying to be sober, I just drink, b/c I get so irritable and so *witchy, alcohol is the only thing that calms me down....any suggestions on this?

(3) My husband also drinks, he is down for slowing down, but I know I cannot slow down....I will end up picking back up the bottle every night. How do I get through his drinking days without getting angry at him?

Thanks I hope this works,
Dayone

Hi dayone, Welcome to SupportGroups.com . Congratulations on desiring to get sober. If you don't wish to go to AA, there are some other programs listed here http://alcohol.supportgroups.com/sg/alcohol/non-12-step-programs that are non 12 step programs. The night sweats will eventually pass. I have had them also. In the beginning, you may feel a wide range of emotions but this too shall get better with time. You really have to do this for yourself and no one else. Take it one day at a time. Just for today - don't drink. Keep sharing with us. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))

I understand. I decided today is my first day bcause today I want to change.
I refuse my self pity, I want to love more, I want to laugh, I want to live I want to stop self indulging

Looking for a warm nice meeting (no kick in the butt, I had enough of that too)

Dayone- I was wondering, how do you know when your becoming an alcoholic? I think I may be but I dont want to sound like some dumb teenager. I drink as much as possible, even when im alone and any chance i get, when im not drinking its always on my mind. I dont know if its a strange craving from my meds or if im going down the road to addiction. feedback please :)

Hi Amanda, Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic. It's not just about how much or how often it is also about what happens when we drink. Here is a link on the site here for alcohol screening tests:
http://alcohol.supportgroups.com/sg/alcohol/getting-honest-about-your-dr...

I don't know what type of meds you are on but there is a link here http://alcohol.supportgroups.com/sg/alcohol/antidepressants-and-alcohol-... about antidepressants and alcohol cravings.

Keep coming and sharing with us. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. That is one way we learn. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))

I took one of the first tests, it said i have a high dependence, and im not on any antidepressants. Unless you count abilify- which in on for schizoaffective disorder, im considering going to an AA meeting sometime next week. Thanks for your help!!

Hi Amanda…
Thank you for having the courage to post over here.
I am glad you know your weakness ans strength .We don’t get there by our gfood behaviour but someday soemhow we fell out of the wagon and we get embarrased of ourself.

How could we do it?
That 's the heavy question of heavy drinkers and alcoholics make all the time ( and there is a very thin line that differentiate one to another).
Them we get in a depression, try to restart our own ego… let’s go only for a single drink and the merry go round start over and over again. So, only we, that have been there ( like you and me) knows the difference.

The answer in fact is simple but not easy to keep. Promise yourself that TODAY you are not going to have a single first drink and ask the Lord to give you the strength to do so.
If that doesn’t work go to AA, where you can find a support group with people that think like you and have similar experience…

Remember that alcohol is the biggest traitor friend that you can have.

I 'll be praying for you Amanda…
Have an excellent day…and don’t let your bad day become the drunk day as you posted.Them you will be VERY proud of yourself

bluidkiti, is right about only you know if you are an alcoholic...

Amm1488 good luck with the AA meeting....I got off of Abilify and went on Prozac up to a yr after having my 3rd child. I had severe postpartum depression....was nuts. I drank just to sleep even on my meds. My 2nd and 3rd child are 10.5 months apart. I basically was preggo for 19 months straight. I did not recover well.

It's rough, I did not drink until I was 21....and never drank consistently until 2008....ever since 2008, I have only missed maybe 2 weeks (total) of not having at least 1 drink. There have been times I have blacked out....I do not drink beer....straight up hard liquor with diet coke....I keep saying everyday is going to be my "dayone" never freakin happens....the kids come home and the routine starts....I cant wait till they go to bed b/c they stress me out, and then BAM....I get a drink!

Well, my husband and I have agreed we will begin slowing down....we scheduled our "dayone" starting on or b/4 09/14/10....we have slowed down on the quantity we drink. Instead of 4 drinks, we may just have 2 and sometimes do not even finish that.

As for the night sweats...I'm not too excited about it....as for my attitude...not to thrilled either....However, I need to be positive so that is why I write these posts for encouragement.

All I can say right now is, "I am going to do it, even if I fail miserably the first few times"!!

thanks I'll keep you posted!
dayone

I am so happy to hear that you see that there is a problem. That, right there, gives me hope. It is one of the hardest things to admit that there is a problem. My mom is 62 and still wont admit she has a drinking problem. It's one of the reasons my dad up and left when I was 9. I always swore that I would never become or be with an alcoholic. And, unfortunately I am with one.

I'm proud of people like you that are actuially trying to make an effort. Will power and faith will pull you through. Good luck and bless you and your family!

I've been thinking.. I think I can do it on my own:)
I don't need rehab or anything else, AA may be a good support group but im terrified to go alone.
I think i'll just try to slow down, only drink on occassion things like that. That way if it is turning into a problem, i have everything under control. I wont drink every chance possible, hell- maybe i'll just wait to drink again till im actually 21 lol. Thanks for your help!

Hi Amanda, There are quite a few online recovery support groups and online AA meetings if you prefer to go that route. I can give you a few links for online AA meetings which are:
http://www.aaonline.net/
http://www.stepchat.com/

Check those out when you have a chance. I have done alot of online recovery since 1997 and found many friends and great support. Take it one day at a time and keep coming and sharing. ((((hugs))))

Thanks bluidkiti! I will!!

Today is the day!!!!!........My day one!!!!! We have ZERO alcohol in the house. 0 yup nothing, and I have no credit cards and no cash to go to the store! I'll keep u all posted!!

dayone

I am so stressed...... Needing a drink, kids are going nuts, my work is behind and my husband is working nights now....noon till midnight....

Hey dayone, Congratulations on day one! Keep taking it one day at a time. Make plans for what to do when you feel the need to drink. Do what you planned instead of drinking. Remember to take some downtime just for you each day even if it is only 5-15 minutes. I had to learn to do that. Take some quiet time, take some deep relaxing breaths, refocus. Keep us posted on how you are doing. ((((hugs))))

Bluidkiti----I failed miserably yesterday....made it all the way to 11:30 pm....after I finished my wk...I had a drink b/c I convinced my husband to get me alcohol....

However, I woke up this morning miserable....dumped out the remaining alcohol called AA and attended my first meeting in over a year.

I am feeling the withdrawal symptoms as i type. Cannot sleep my house is a mess....But I went to AA. Also, I am trying to get to sleep but all we have is theraflu night-time liquid and I will not take it b/c it contains 10% alcohol.

Met some cool people today....cried like a baby b/c I cannot believe this person I have become....but instead of alcohol I asked my husband to bring me home benedryl b/c my skin is itching like crazy and i cannot sleep....heart is racing and I feel like my whole body is hot....

I will make it tonight. I will take it day by day.

dayone

Hey dayone, Just keep working on it. You may have withdrawal symptoms in the beginning but with time they will get better and pass. I am so very glad to hear you went to an AA meeting. Keep going back. Today is a new day. Just for today - don't drink. Keep us posted. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))

Dayone congrats on making your AA meeting!! I hope I can be as strong as you and make it to the next one in my town next week!

Went sober for 1 day so far.....last day of drinking was 09/13/10 today brings day # 2.....

Withdrawal symptoms were terrible. Sweating...no real sleep....itching....never did get that benedryl

instead took 2 tylenol b/c I feel like my hed split into 2....

still feel like i'm hung over, but I did not drink....think my body is just tired and used to drinking.

feel like throwing up and i'm cold.

this sux...but I did not drink.

going for day 2

thanks everyone

dayone

Your doin good dayone!!! Good job on not givin up!! Congrats! Have a great day!