Dermatillomania

I am 23 years old and i have severe Dermatillomania there are times i have told myself i would stop but always wind up back in the mirror or tearing my nails up or my skin. I wish i could stop but its an urge I have to full fill like a smoker has to smoke. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what you do to stop.

This is a nervous problem by the sounds of it,
if someone or something is stressing you out try remove it. See if it helps could be someone always on your case.
If you can't remove it ,
you may need something to calm your nerves.

Best thing is maybe not to think about it to much cause that just makes the problem worse and harder to solve maybe.

I suggest checking out amazon.com for books. You might also like

What to Say When you Talk To Yourself
Shad Helmstetter

Love, Freedom, Aloneness: The Koan of Relationships by Osho

I have dermatillomania too. I find its best to keep myself busy. Not so busy I'm under stress, but enough so I'm not sitting and picking.

Unfortunately the line often gets blurred. I can't play sports as a way to keep busy because I find them stressful so I pick.

Try a hobby like knitting that ocupies your hands :)

Best of luck!

I have Dermatillomania, I am talking to my physchologist about it, I try to stop too, because naturally I have pretty dang good skin and I like my face to look good, but I can;'t stop, This morning I woke up at 8, went to the bathroom, started picking at my face... thought it had been 20 minutes.. it had been an hour and a half... Ugh I have a big huge scab on my forehead now, and scabs all over my face, and I am embarased to see people, and I am embarassed to even look at my husband when I come out of the bathroom.. At first I just thought I like picking but I definitly have a problem it is out of control. I get tweezers, and pick at my face, pluck m eyebrow hairs to the point I hardly have any left, I also pick at the skin around my nails, I will get nail clippers and clip off the dead skin around my toenails and fingernails, and I do all of this to the point that around my fingers, toes, or face hurts really bad :/ HELP

I am 43 and just found out there was a name for this and that I am not alone. I have very few people that I have really talked to about this so I am excited to talk to others and have someone really know how this affects a person from the inside out.