Does anyone know a lot about c-ptsd? is anyone diagnosed wit

does anyone know a lot about c-ptsd? is anyone diagnosed with it? if you're not, but think you do, would you be up for a convo about it? looking into it so i can bring it up to my therapist.

4 Hearts

I’ve never been diagnosed but I’ve suspected myself as having it. It can happen after long term exposure to trauma… basically any kind of stress long term negatively affects the brain I’ve learned. I saw tv show once explains that the neurons that process info can actually die off during long term exposure to trauma. Therefore, that’s how come people who have PTSD can sometimes have difficulty processing things, and all those symptoms than can happen like hallucinations can happen, being hyper alert, etc. there’s some research things like meditation, and therapy can help reverse the effects of the stress. Do you have trauma in your life you want to share? Definitely something to go over with your therapist! I keep forgetting to ask mine what’s my diagnosis! Hehe

2 Hearts

@Foundlove i was sexually and emotionally/mentally abused by multiple different people over multiple years and i found that c-ptsd kinda filled in some holes that no other mental illnesses did.

I don't think I've been diagnosed with it but I'm pretty sure I have it

2 Hearts

I was diagnosed about 6 years ago with cptsd. A lot of meds and therapy later am getting better. Any questions will be glad to answer

3 Hearts

@rdpca1 how do flashbacks work for you, if you have any/are comfortable sharing?

I'm diagnosed with C-PTSD. I'm a former Firefighter/Paramedic. From what I gather from my therapist, C-PTSD can result not from one traumatic event, but from long-term exposure to multiple, repeated traumas...like you encounter weekly (sometimes daily) working for a busy ALS service in a large metropolitan area.

3 Hearts

A lot of people have explained it right. Normal PTSD is a single event like getting in a car accident. CPTSD is when your stuck in that traumatic environment for a long time. I am a victim of abuse and have CPTSD. I got diagnosed a few months ago. Antidepressants and therapy is how I am handling it.

2 Hearts

@John99 thank you so much

I think the good news is symptoms can improve with time n treatment. Just because somebody has it doesn’t mean will suffer forever.. I think my symptoms improved. Hope you find someone good that will give good help!

2 Hearts

Be careful with emdr for cptsd from personal experience can make cptsd much worse

1 Heart

@rdpca1 emdr?

I did a lot of study on the topic because of my own negative experiences. I'm pretty much self diagnosed. According to my studies, the sooner after the trauma, it is treated, the better. The psychiatric/psychology field still knows very little about it, other than the fact it is incurable, as far as we know. Your triggers can lessen over time until there is another crisis that may flare it up again. It can be very livable, when the triggers lessen in severity. There was a time mine was so bad I couldn't even check my own mail, or go online, only the Bible would sooth me. Now I'm pretty much normal, in comparison.

3 Hearts

@Scat
At the worst flashbacks were so bad would cause conversion disorder seizures was having about 20 a day. After years of therapy and meds down to a few per month. I can’t talk about heat happened never make it more than a few words before flashbacks and seizures

whats the diffrenct between c-ptsd and regular ptsd?

1 Heart

so if i was raped i might have cptsd instead of just ptsd because it happened multiple times throughout 7 years of my life

1 Heart

@CAMILLER2406 it’s possible! here’s a link to the website where i first looked into c-ptsd, check it out. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd-and-complex-ptsd/complex-ptsd/

My therapist I had for awhile and me discussed cptsd. We discussed me having cptsd from my childhood, repetitive physical, mental, sexual abuse. But more importantly we found that being emotionally abused and betrayed by my husband over 8 years has led to the same symptoms as cptsd. If it's multiple traumas it can cause cptsd, it doesn't always have to be physical or sexual. Emotional and verbal abuse is just as, serious, damaging and traumatic.

1 Heart

@ALynne yeah none of my traumatic events were physical. a lot of it was emotional/mental abuse and sexual abuse.