Does this thing ever go away? Is it caused by stress?

I'm under so much stress. this ain started in my hips then legs and wrists and now in my feet. Will it ever end? It seems the worse my mind gets the worse the pain in my body gets. I need a vacation from myself.

Hi Jenny123,
When did your pain start? So sorry to hear about your pain. My symptoms started 6 yrs. ago, but was mostly in my neck, shoulders and upper back. then eventually in my hips. It took two years, numerous blood tests and a few x-rays, before my doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. The tests were run to rule out other conditions (i.e. lymes disease, Epstein Barre virus, etc.). In the last two years, my symptoms have lasted longer, this year being the worst. Now I'm suffering from pain and tingling in my feet, legs, hands, wrists and arms. Stress, lack of sleep and bad diet do make these symptoms worse, and drugs are not always the solution. I just recently weaned myself off of the drugs, becuase these are just additional toxins we are loading into our bodies, and I've also become chemically sensitive, so I get alot of side effects. I got tired of doctors throwing prescription drugs at me, and started reading and learning more about fibromyalgia. Let me recommend that you read the folllowing books to get yourself on the right track. There's no overnight cure, but some changes in your diet and lifestyle will get you on the road to recovery. I've read "Tired of Being Tired" & "Reversing Fibromyalgia" by Dr. Joe M. Elrod. Both books make alot of sense as to what has brought us to the pain we are in.
I sure hope that this helps, and that you have a great weekend!
I'm here for you if you need to vent, whine, cry...
Patty G

Thank you Patty. I diagnosed myself because 1) I can't afford to go the doctor and 2) I'm not going to take any more meds. I only have the pain at night unless I'm standing for a long time. it's very strange. It only started a few months a go in my left leg then it started to spread. It started as a severe burning then other types of pain. My knees seem to get the worst of it now. It's strange how it moves. I'm under extreme stress so I'm not surprised this is another mind-body ailment. I've had the tiredness for two years and actually "slept" like Rip Van Winkle for a year. I will check out the books. This was a big crying weekend for me. Something I haven't done since I can't remember. Thanks for the virtual shoulder. xoxoxo

Jenny-I know the pain can be hard to handle sometimes. I was diagnosed when I was 17 and apparently that's really young. I had pain at every single trigger point which was also rare. These days I am doing a little better. I don't take meds because I think I'm tough enough to push through the pain. Now most of my pain in in the knees and hips. Def. read books about it if you are doing the diagnosis yourself. I learned that there are lots of things very very similar to fibro. Good Luck!

Hi Jenny - I agree with Jassy about there being other ailments that have the same symptoms as fibromyalgia. There are so many other diseases that have similar symptoms, and it would probably be good if you could at least rule out some of the worst ones. It usually starts with pain in just a few areas, and the fatigue has always been the worst thing. Since I've been off the meds I find that I'm more emotional, but it's probably best to work through those emotions, as opposed to the druge (SSRI - anti-depressants) suppressing them. I've had those days, and some in a row, where I feel so bad that all I can do is cry.
Jassy - I can't believe that you started at such a young age with FMS, and it seems like I'm starting to hear and read more and more about young kids getting hit with FMS. I can see where adrenal burnout would be the one cause for us older folks, but can't seem to understand why the younger ones are affected.
I truly feel for both of you, and wish that I could give you both a big hug.
I also wish that fibromyalgia would get more attention than it gets, and that there were more reasonably cost treatment for us women who are suffering so much. xoxoxoxo

Jenny,

Stress causes an increase in the level of Cortisol in the body, which is hormone that's produced in response to a fight or flight experience. For wild animals, this is vital to survival, and for us, it's vital to waking up in the morning. Other than that, we don't need a constant flow of Cortisol all day long, but the high level of stress people have is doing exactly that - releasing Cortisol for no good reason.

Cortisol breaks down connective tissue in the body, among other negative effects (physiological and psychological). This can cause widespread pain, which is obviously one of the most common symptoms of fibromyalgia.

There are a number of things that can mimic fibromyalgia, so it really is good to have it checked out when you can. The American College of Rheumatology put out a set of criteria in 1990 for diagnosing fibromyalgia. First is a history of widespread pain, and second is pain in very specific 'tender points' in the body. Tender points are areas that trigger local pain (as opposed to 'trigger points', which refer pain elsewhere). :

1. History of widespread pain.

Definition. Pain is considered widespread when all of the following are present: pain in the left side of the body, pain in the right side of the body, pain above the waist, and pain below the waist. In addition, axial skeletal pain (cervical spine or anterior chest or thoracic spine or low back) must be present. In this definition, shoulder and buttock pain is considered as pain for each involved side. "Low back" pain is considered lower segment pain.

2. Pain in 11 of 18 tender point sites on digital palpation.

Definition. Pain, on digital palpation, must be present in at least 11 of the following 18 sites:
Occiput: Bilateral, at the suboccipital muscle insertions.
Low cervical: bilateral, at the anterior aspects of the intertransverse spaces at C5-C7.
Trapezius: bilateral, at the midpoint of the upper border.
Supraspinatus: bilateral, at origins, above the scapula spine near the medial border.
Second rib: bilateral, at he second costochondral junctions, just lateral to the junctions on upper surfaces.
Lateral epicondyle: bilateral, 2 cm distal to the epicondyles.
Gluteal: bilateral, in upper outer quadrants of buttocks in anterior fold of muscle.
Greater trochanter: bilateral, posterior to the trochanteric prominence.
Knee: bilateral, at the medial fat pad proximal to the joint line.

Hi to all in this post

This is very interesting. I went to see my Dr last week as Ive been having pain in my knees and hips for the last year, i cant even squat anymore as the pain is so bad. Thought it might be arthritis, but the dr is now quering fibro. Ive since been reading up about it and it looks like i fit, been suffering with neck, shoulders and back for a long time, which i put down to stress. The explaination about the stress hormone breaking down the connective tissue is interesting, and to be honest how long can you live with stress before it does do long term damage. What has annoyed me though is you cannot officially diagnos fibro and some dr dont acknowledge its existence, so again i feel like its a pretend illness, like my anxiety and stress, it cant be seen in blood test etc so its all in the mind, which really pisses me off! anyway i will see what happens next, quite scared to be diagnosed with fibro coz at the moment i can just say its good and bad days with the stress, i think the whole lethargy thing frightens me the most, i can cope with the pain, but i have a friend who was diagnosed first with me, then fibro, and she had a bad patch last year where she couldnt even manage her kids, thats whats worrying

Thank you everyone. This is all so very helpful. does anyone else have pain that specifically persists in their legs at night? Especially the burning. I'm also concerned about the stress. It's amazing how much a body can take.

Hi Jenny,
Look up: Restless Leg Syndrome
I think that might be what’s bothering you at night.
I have insanely-crazy itching all over my body for over a week now - don’t know if it’s connected to my fibro but it’s horrendous…I’ve scratched so hard I have bruises all over. Ugh.
hugs,
Sheri

dear jenny123, read your post and the posts that followed, wow what alot of information huh? i have mainly pain in the legs from fibro and mostly at night too. so sorry for your pain. sometimes i feel like i am stuffed with cotton and cannot move and being on computer gets real painful but i so enjoy it i just push past it. being cold is especially painful to me. i always wear longjohns and sleep with em on and with down filled comforters. honestly i couldnot do without medical attention though but i have insurance so i am fortunate i know, but i am also unable to work for about 6 years now. too much pain, lethagy, confusion, fibro fog they call it and exhaustion. but i also have pain in the arms and hands and hips and elsewhere just not as bad as legs at night lol we have something in common. by the way fibro used to be called rheumatism. all my strength and hope and faith to you dear jenny123 and my best from your humble prayer warrior.

Thank you for your message. I sleep with my dog next to my legs to keep me warm. Lol. Poor thing. I'm much better now with the fatigue. I slept for about 2years but I really need to work now. Hopefully I'll find a job soon as unemployment has run out. Prayers to you too. xoxoxo

dear Jenny i sleep with my little dog and my cat, or they sleep with me i am not sure which. i do know i call the dog when i go to bed, lol we have something in else in common. how has your pain been this week? myself i have been in a flare, i confess to lacking in my prayers even. but i try my best and keep you all in my heart and soul as i got through my days. this site has been the best thing that has happened to me and the more i participate the more i get out of it. the deeper i look into my heart the more areas i find i can post in lol! but then i am almost 60 and have lived a long and sometimes traumatic life.

i wish you all the best with gainful employment. i cannot "work" outside the home. i am on disability and thank you for it. i thank all my brothers and sisters for this provision. i cannot keep a regular schedule. i am too full of pain and distraught from my anxietyies of the past to be able to work gainfully. i do work taking care of my household and my spouse and my sons who are mentally ill. that in itself i consider work although not gainfully and i do most of it on my own schedule and i do have outside support, thank God.

i did work off and on throughout my fibo years and loved it. so you can do this Jenny it takes alot of self care and it can be good for you. let me know, what kind of job are you looking for, and how is the job search going? they just announced our county was"down" to 10% unemployment like that was a good thing. i guess we had gone up to 11% there for awhile.

all my best with hope and faith for your job search to go well and even now you may be employed. maria