Effexor XR Brand VS Generic

Has anyone had any issues with changing from the Brand Effexor XR to the Generic? I am curious as my doctor switched me to the generic in August. My mood changed from stable to extremely moody! I got worse and worse, finally Saturday, I thought maybe it was the generic Effexor XR. I had the brand filled again. I am on it for the second day, and already see a big difference in how I feel. I have heard from other people on-line at other sites that they have had trouble with the switch as well.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

On another subject how many of you with Bipolar also have thyroid disorders? I sometimes wonder if our thyroid disorders are in fact causing us to have our ups and downs and some people (not all) may be mis-diagnosed with Bipolar, when in fact the thyroid may be the culprit. Anyone have any thoughts on this? TY ~S~

Hi Sandi,

I agree with you, I have been on Effexor for nearly 2 years and I certainly notice a difference between Generic and the more expensive label.

I prefer the non - generic. I am soon to come off these as I was diagnosed with Bipolar and my doctor has suggested Lithium, do you know anything about this one??

Hope all is going well for you :)

Talk soon

HI Jan,
All I can tell you is try the lithium It did not work for me, but everyone is different. What ended up working best for me is Lamictal. No side affects for me, which is a great plus. I do know Lithium and Depakote causes alot of weight gain. I have not found that to be a problem with Lamictal at all. Good luck Jan, and keep me posted.

I did see my new Psych doctor this past Tuesday, she is going to try getting me off the Effexor XR and put me on Seroquel XR. I currently take the regular seroquel and it works really well for me.

From Mood Disorders to Bipolar Disorder