Family Dinners Can Help Curb Bullying

This is a helpful article on how family dinners can help curb bullying;

"If you're ever struggling to make dinner-table conversation with a young child, one question will save you every time: "So tell me, what was the favorite part of your day?"

My family has turned this question into a family dinner ritual. My younger daughter always raises her hand as soon as the question is asked, hoping to go first. My kids always roll their eyes when I tell them my favorite part of the day was my drive home from the office. And my father always uses the question to remind people that one day he'll be dead.

I'll explain more about that later.

I originally hoped to shed light on what appeared to be a new and under-reported positive impact that family dinners had on young children: a decrease in bullying. Ever since 1996, when the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University reported a decrease in the rate of teen substance abuse that was tied to a higher frequency of family dinners, researchers have spent thousands of hours studying the dinnertime habits of the American family. Experts all agree that quality conversation at the dinner table has a significant, positive impact on a teenager's behavior..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-petrie/family-dinners-bullying_b_786330.html
        Source: HuffingtonPost.com, by David Petrie, 11/26/10

Family is a very important unity. When family gets together, we talk with each other and we learn about each other. Parents learn from children and young ones learn from the parents about respect, proper behavior, love, compassion and mainly about spiritual part of our lives. Thank you very much for this research and God bless you always.

puppy

its always a blessing to eat with the family and i love every minute of it long may it continue

as always loving thoughts and positive vibes
D :)

I agree; anytime that we can all spend together as a family unit is healthy on the whole. This is a time when everyone can openly talk about what's going on in their lives. So, it not only is helpful in the bullying facet, but all facets of kids lives.