Family saving children of addict from dangerous environment

I take issue with the common belief of proffessionals that (saving children from dangerous environments) is enabling to the parent/addict/mental illness inflicted/brain damaged, is wrong because it (is enabling, or always born from codependence).
I think it is simply the right thing to do.
I don't think innocent (children are despensable for the sake of not enabling their parent).

From a proffessionals point of view, I would like to know how to tell the difference.

I do not feel a need to be needed. I am not bored or nosey. I have plenty of healthy interst and neccesary duties.
Child care is tireing. I don't desire the resposibilty.
If their Mother is properly medicated by a qualified psychiatrist and clean from substance abuse, she is an awesome Mother. I want them to continue a loving relationship with me as their grandmother.
I will always be willing to do all I can if they need me too.
Relapse is part of recovery and it is a common symptom of bipolar sufferers to stop taking their med's. Then self medicating, then becoming addicts or relapsing.
I don't believe in looking the other way, or "not getting involved if I see anyone in trouble that can be prevented. A good samariton. No one one should ignore a child in danger.
I do want to be loved. I do love all my family. I love children. Especially these two grandchildren whom I have been very close to all their lives, often being their legal guardian.

WWJD,
So sorry you are having to go though this. It must be hard to watch you family suffer. I thought my sharing alittle of my past may shed some light. Just take what you can from it and leave the rest. I'm new at this support thing myself, but I'm trying.
When I was growing up, being "bipolar" wasn't really heard that often, or so it seemed since I was a child. It seemed to always be refered to as "crazy". I grew up in a home, with my mother and step-father. My mother, after years of abuse and isolation, tried to commit suicide. It was me, that came down the stairs, that fought her for the pills she was putting in her mouth, that saved her life. I was only 12 years old. Things only got worse from there, she continued to go down hill. She almost starved herself to death before her own brother had her admitted to a hospital. She was manic depressive bipolar. After a 6 months hospital stay and medications, she was on her way back to life. I was left in a nightmare... my boyfriend decided to murder my step-father, the first night we took my mom to the hospital. While she was getting better, I was losing everything, including my mind. I went into shock for a year when they told me what he did. It was unbelievable. We were just 16.
Well, I'm still here through it all, but my mom... I feel really strong in saying she would not be alive today if it wasn't for my hands and the strength of God. If anyone would have tried to take me from my mom then, my mom may not still be here today. I'm glad I had to live in that "H" hole, to save my mother because she was sick and unable to do it herself. It sounds like you want to help your family and you want the best for them. I realize it's not the place of a child to protect the parent, but if it is an illness that is the root cause, be careful not to neglect that fact. It is an illness. I am bipolar now, hereditary or not, but I still have my mom. I actually have the mother I knew " back in the day" before she was ever sick. I think of all the things I could be missing, my children could be missing, and I thank God. I held so much resentment toward my mother for awhile, then I realized she could not be here to hold at all. Stay strong to the "whole" family and try to support where you can. Stay strong, its not an easy thing to sit back and watch, yet we don't always know what fate has in store for us. If she is an awesome mother, encourage her to stay on that positive trail.

Hope I didn't ramble too much, and I hope you received something from this mess.