Fighting Alzheimer's

Joy Bauer, Today Show nutritionist, dealt with Alzheimer's in her family and discusses a few ways to prevent it;

"When it comes to fighting Alzheimer's disease, Today Show nutritionist Joy Bauer says it's personal.
"My grandmother had the disease, and spiraled downhill so horribly from being an outgoing, pillar of the community as a school principal for 25 years," says Bauer, who participated in the Alzheimer's Foundation of America's first-ever "Together for Care" telethon this past Saturday, Dec. 4, on NBC. "Everything I do is about helping people improve their health, and that includes brain health. So I'm very excited and encouraged that a bright spotlight has finally been placed on this disease that impacts millions each year."..."

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/mind-soul/doing-good/kindness/post/2010/12/when-it-comes-to-fighting-alzheimers-joy-bauer-says-its-personal/133860/1

Source: usatoday.com

Very difficult even to read about this disease, and mainly when one of your family members is affected by it. Hopefully, soon we will have more help to know why and to prevent this from happening. Thank you very much for this article. God bless you.

I know Marcie, it really is hard to read some of these articles most especially since my grandmother has dementia and is not doing well. Though, this research does give me a lot of hope for the future.

I am married to a wonderful man who was diagnosed with the onset of dementia. The hardest part for me is looking at my husband who was such a strong man, and is now not able to rmember to take his medications. Coming home not knowing whether he sat in front of the tv all day or whether he remembered to feed our dogs. I cook on the weekends so he can have lunch, adn all he eats is a slice of pie, or a pb snadwich.

Hi Minietita, thank you so much for being here with us and for sharing your story. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Is there anything that you do or that he does daily to help his dementia? Any advice that doctors or anyone has given you that you have found to be helpful? My grandmother has dementia and I feel that she's more and more disconnected every time I see her. It really saddens me and I wish there was something that I could do to help her.

Thanks, so much for your comments! No, there is nothing “special” that I do, besides putting his meds together and encouraging him to take them. There are times when he seems ok, and then he will make comments out of left field. I can see that he realizes that he does not remember some things, and he tries so hard to act like if everythings is ok. Besides his dementia, he also has suffered several strokes, 5 (five!) knee replacements, a hip replacement, and he has asthma. I sometimes wonder how I keep my sanity! But I know there are people out there that are dealing with greater hardships than mine. So sorry about your grandmother… Just find the light in her eyes, and your will see it’s still the same. The only thing you can do to help her is to love her and accept her.

Oh, bless your heart for everything that you have been through with your husband and for being so incredibly strong. Love really is the best medicine and I know that you have healed your husband with yours. Thank you for your wonderful advice regarding my grandmother; you are so right, I will look into her eyes and still see her there. And, she'll look at me and smile just the way that she used to. It's a beautiful thing.