Gabapentin

This topic came up in another post, and I offered to check the monograph for this particular medication.

DO NOT START TAKING THIS MEDICATION, OR CHANGING YOU DOSE, UNLESS UNDER THE DIRECTION OF YOUR DOCTOR. I am providing this for information purposes only.

From, http://www.medicinenet.com/gabapentin/article.htm

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gabarone) is an anticonvulsant that is used for preventing seizures and for treating postherpetic neuralgia. The mechanism of action of gabapentin is not known. Gabapentin structurally resembles the neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA). It is possible that this similarity is related to gabapentin's mechanism of action. In animal models used for testing the anticonvulsant and analgesic activity of drugs, gabapentin prevents seizures and reduces pain-related responses. The FDA approved gabapentin in December 1993.

PRESCRIBED FOR: Gabapentin is approved for treating seizure disorders and nerve damage from herpes zoster (shingles, postherpetic neuralgia). There are many non-approved uses for gabapentin. These include alcohol withdrawal, cocaine withdrawal, hiccups, restless leg syndrome, hyperhidrosis, headaches, diabetic neuropathy, hot flashes, and fibromyalgia.

DOSING: Gabapentin may be taken with or without food. The recommended dose for postherpetic neuralgia is 1800 mg daily in 3 divided doses. The initial dose of 300 mg daily is increased over several days to the recommended daily dose. Seizures are treated with 900-1800 mg/daily in 3 divided doses. Withdrawal of treatment should occur slowly over a week.

I hope you find this information helpful. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to find the answers for you. Or even better, write them down and take them to your next doctor's appointment!

Maybe one of you would be so kind as to cut and paste this for the fibromyalgia group. Thanks.

Hi
that sounds like it effects the hipocamprious
I know i cant spell
If so wouldnt it have the black warning?
My drs love to answer these kinds of questions
I agree do research and talk to your medic team
:)

What is the black warning?

I was prescribed this when I first got my diagnosis. I think its because of all my (in my head pain) my constant body aches. I had to stop taking it because my insurance doesn't recognise it as meds for ptsd. I thought it was weird that they gave me an anti seizure med.

There are a lot of meds that can help with different things.

Look at the action of the medication, not what it's usually prescribed for.

Here's an everyday example:

ASA - analgesic. Used for pain. BUT, also thins blood so is used as a stroke prevention med.

Gabapentin -- acts like GABA so blocks signals that cause seizures. BUT, also blocks pain signals to the brain and provides pain relief.