Genetic Triggers of ADHD

This article discusses genetic triggers of ADHD;

"It now seems that a genetic component is the cause of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or at least the following tidbit suggests so. Scientists from the Cardiff University in the United Kingdom assert that a genetic factor is responsible for ADHD. The findings can be beneficial in understanding of the genetic basis of this condition.

The study examined Copy Number Variants (CNVs) of DNA gathered from 410 ADHD patients. The results were then compared to 1156 controls, or individuals who were not diagnosed with ADHD. The study findings were also validated with another population of 825 individuals with ADHD and around 35,000 controls. Genetic evidence claims that individuals with ADHD have elevated rate of large CNVs.

If this piece of information is to be believed then, ADHD is not a social construct alone. Investigators suggest that introduction of genetic testing for ADHD patients can be vital. A better understanding of the genetic basis may help provide earlier diagnosis and more effective treatments...."

http://www.healthjockey.com/2010/12/07/genetic-factor-apparently-triggers-adhd/

Source: HealthJockey.com

Do most doctors write scripts for whatever the last drug salesman told them to write? Do they ever really try to cure anything? Numbing the pain will not make it pass. That only prolongs the agony. What I need, is right on my dinner table (clean foods), but I don't know enough to make things 100% right.
I know that if I eat cured meats (hot dog, ham, bacon, lunchmeat) or hot peppers, I may go ballistic and scream like a spoiled brat, but that is just the tip of the iceberg.
It's good to know that truly smart people are researching ADHD. There are great minds and hearts working for so many good things. But if a drug company cannot profit, will the answer be published?

Hi Anna, thank you so much for your comment. I do agree with you in that we need to get to the root of the problem and try to resolve it in a natural way rather than trying to numb the issue. I know that meds can help in certain instances, but I am always an advocate of trying natural remedies first.

Thanks for the article

Very informative

mC and Abner, thank you for taking the time to read my post and the article. I am glad that you found it to be informative.

Thanks. Very informative

Very informative. I just cringe at the thought of those children who go undiagnosed and are just "labeled" and never get the help they need until they hurt others or themselves.

I imagine it is very important to have a good family support unit. Poor families are barely getting by on bad foods (nutrition) and lack of health care for these very revelations.

Young kids with adhd turn into teens and adults with this condition unresolved.

Thereishope, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and this very important article. I truly appreciate your insight, as you are so incredibly right in that it is tragic when children go undiagnosed and untreated.