Has anyone ever lost a loved one due to Alzheimers

My grandfather went home to be with the Lord about seven years ago. My grandmother and him was married 60 something years. Man what a marriage!!! My grandmother is still living and she is one of the most Godly woman I have ever met. We all miss him greatly but realize he is in a much better place. Alzheimers took him away from us unfortunately. My grandmother has the early stages of it and it breaks my heart but that is part of life. Be thankful for our elders. The older I get the more I appreciate the ones I love. Any ideas on how to help others affected by this horrible disease? I am open for any suggestions.

I've been there too, but eventhough I was related to that person and supposedly very close we didn't talk much, we didn't have much in common, we didn't even love each other, or have been given the chance to do so, just fights and fights! But now when I look back I would like to have her with me, be able to talk to her, get to know her, give her a chance, learn from her, the only thing I think you can do in such circumstances is just be there, enjoy every moment you have with you grand-ma, remind her of the love of her life, tell her stories about her life when she won't be able to remember them, be her friend when she won't be able to remember who you are, create a world where she can be comfortable, a world where the years she'll spent in will be just a couple of good memories that will remain with you for life.
I wish I could have my person here, tell her how I much I'd have liked to love her, and know her, you have that chance so don't miss it, don't get sucked into the fact that she is fading away, just enjoy every last moment of it.

Hi bikermama77,

my grandmother has demention (i’m still trying to understand the difference with alzheimers and dimention) but i know that her not having a memory and it getting worse is hard to deal with. Luckily she has her health, but her short term memory is gone and unfortunately it can make it difficult to have conversations or keep her mind in the current day and age. I am on the fence on what is best for this situation; correct her when she mistakes a person or doesn’t remember that someone died, or just let her keeping thinking things because even if i correct her she forgets. I guess the best thing is to just show love and compassion and be there for them. But learning how other people here deal with the situation would be helpful.

My close friend just lost both his grandparents. I'm really unfamiliar with Alzheimers, but what I do know is his grandfather was in the late stages, and I guess the disease got so severe he killed his wife then took his own life. It's been on my mind ever since he told me this tragedy and I'm just trying to make sense of why this happens to people. I'm sorry for anyone who has lost a loved one due to this disease. I wish there was something more any of us can do. It really really breaks my heart to hear things of this nature. Life is so precious, nobody should have to finish their life in that way.

Hey,
My mother died of early onset Alzheimers. To make it worse she signed a health care directive that stated we were not to give her food, water, or any other life preserving drugs or intervention when she got to a point where she couldn't live normally. When she forgot how to swallow my step father put the health care directive into effect, and we all sat around watching my mother starve and dehydrate to death. At the time, we did not know that my step father was sleeping with one of his employees who is younger than me and has a nine year old daughter. He is more than 25 years older than she is, and she retired immediately after my mother died, and is currently living happily in my mother's house off my mother's money. My step father (who raised my sister and I for thirty years) has declined further communication with me, my sister, and my two children. He had my mother's will changed a few months before she died just shortly after he started sleeping with the ***** in my mother's house. This all happened five years ago and YES I"m still hurting and bitter. I'm certain now there isn't a man on the planet I can trust.

Thistle -

That is horrible, i am so sorry to hear that. I understand your mother’s directive, my grandmother has a dnr form and i know they did it to spare family members from making any difficult decisions and they probably wanted to go on their terms.
As for your stepfather, it is sad that he raised you and cut you out of his life. I don’t blame you for being bitter, but hopefully the pain has lessened over time.

I am sorry for your loss. Your grandfather must have been a lovely man and i hope you always think of him that way.My Dad had dementia. It is very thoughtful of you to want to reach out to others. There is a book written for caregivers that helped me tremendously in many ways. You might want to gift it to some one. It's called The 36Hour Day". In addition to that just being there to support and comfort the patient and the caregiver is so appreciated as you probably know. Giving the caregiver some rest, sitting with the patient and talking about favorite things from when they were young, recalling old songs. You are blessed with the gift of caring. I say thank you for all those who would like to say so but can't..