Has anyone tried St John's Wort

Has anyone ever tried St. John's Wort as a way to combat or alleviate depression and anxiety? I've been doing some reading on it and am thinking of purchasing some. I would love your thoughts on it. Thank you. Also, here is an article that I found regarding St. John's Wort;

"St. John's Wort is an herb known for mitigating mild-to-moderate depression. There have been questions in the past whether this herb was safe and effective. After many studies, it has been determined that St. John's Wort Is just as effective as tricyclic antidepressants and SSRIs, without the side effects, which include weight gain, decreased sex drive, fatigue, and insomnia. The two known side effects of St. John's Wort are light headaches and a sensitivity to sunlight.

St. John's Wort can can interfere with infection fighting drugs like indinavir, used to treat HIV, and cyclosporine, used to prevent organ transplant rejection. This herb can interact with some fermented foods like cheese and wine, causing headaches for people prone to migraine headaches. As with most herbs, women who are pregnant or nursing should not use St. John's Wort.

Studies have shown that St. John's Wort is highly effective when taken in 900-1200mg per day. For those who are taking a prescription medication for depression and would like to switch to the herbal remedy, it is suggested that the patient begin with a 50 percent dose of prescribed antidepressant and a 50 percent dose of St. John's Wort. The patient can then gradually decrease the one medication while increasing St. John's Wort while under a doctor's supervision. No one should suddenly stop taking prescribed antidepressants and replace it with St. John's Wort.

St. John's Wort can be found in many floral and herb gardens. People grow and dry the herb for personal use in tinctures and teas. The best way to take St. John's Wort is by tincture, an alcohol based liquid, because the medicine gets into the bloodstream quickly. The herb is of value for occasional depressed moods and to lift the spirits.

St. John's Wort is sold in drug stores and most stores that carry a line of vitamins and herbal supplements. It comes in capsules in varying strengths. The capsules can also be ordered through vitamin and health food catalogs and through on-line health food and herbal suppliers. It is important to know the exact strength of St. John's Wort. For this reason, people should only use reputable suppliers that guarantee the exact measurements of their herbal supplements and remedies.

There are hundreds of herbal remedies and treatments that have been proven to provide relief from a variety of symptoms and healing of many ailments from the flu to cancer. These are the original medications prescribed by doctors for centuries. Modern science has improved on some herbal remedies and tweaked the use of others. The gain is medication that can work much faster, but the down side is the unwanted side effects. Herbal treatments usually have far fewer side effects that are milder or temporary. The more we know about herbs and what they can do for us, the more informed decisions we can make concerning our own health care. The price of herbs is definitely preferred over the cost of many drugs produced by large drug companies."

Source: Helium, by Barbara Stanley

I have to say that I have tryed saint john wort in the past but to tell you the truth I hadn't taken it long enough to say if I felt that it works or not. I was told that with any anti depressant you have to take it every day for at least a month before you can feel results. I was considering starting to take saint johns wort again and this time really give it a try since it's a safer alternative to chemical anti depressants. A soon to be natural medicine doctor told me that saint johns wort taken along with 5 HTP is particularly effective in treating depression naturally.

Unikte.1022, thank you so much for all of your insight, I really appreciate it. I will definitely give it a try and take it consistently in order to feel its effect. As well, I've taken 5 HTP before, so maybe I'll try the combination of the two as well. Thanks again!