Healthy Eating = Longer Life

Here's an article that discusses how healthy eating can equate to a longer life;

"Healthy eating really can help people live longer, research has shown.
A study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association comparing the diets of 2,500 older Americans found that "high fat" individuals were 40% more likely to die over 10 years than those who preferred "healthy foods".
The researchers defined a "healthy foods" diet as one which contained more low-fat dairy products, fruit, whole grains, poultry, fish and vegetables. It was also characterised by a lower consumption of meat, fried foods, sweets, high-calorie drinks and added fat.
Scientists divided the food preferences of participants, aged between 70 and 79, into six different dietary "clusters".
These were classified as "healthy foods", "high-fat dairy products", "meat, fried foods and alcohol", "breakfast cereal", "refined grains," and "sweets and desserts".
The "high-fat dairy products" category had higher intakes of foods such as ice cream, cheese, whole milk and yoghurt, and lower consumption of poultry, low-fat dairy products, rice and pasta.
A 37% higher risk of dying was associated with the "sweets and desserts" cluster, and a 21% increased risk with the "meat, fried foods and alcohol" cluster. No significant differences in death risk was seen between "healthy foods" and the "breakfast cereal" or "refined grains" clusters.
In total, 374 of study participants made "healthy foods" a predominant part of their diet, while 693 preferred "meat, fried foods and alcohol".
Lead scientist Dr Amy Anderson, from the University of Maryland in College Park, US, said: "The results of this study suggest that older adults who follow a dietary pattern consistent with current guidelines to consume relatively high amounts of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, poultry and fish, may have a lower risk of mortality.
"Because a substantial percentage of older adults in this study followed the 'healthy foods' dietary pattern, adherence to such a diet appears a feasible and realistic recommendation for potentially improved survival and quality of life in the growing older adult population...."

Source: www.google.com

puppy

just out of curiostity do u know if they had a vegan group i would be interested in thier results which i would think would not be as good as the cereal group

do u think veggies need to adapt their meals to include poultry to enhance longevity

as always loving thoughts and positive vibes
D :)

Domestic, that's a very interesting question. I didn't see a Vegan Group, but would hope that they take in some types of protein as a part of their diet.

puppy

im not sure they do the ones i know tend to miss out on the major food groups and have a very limited intake of foods that im sure they do need

i guess what it shows is a little of what u like once in a blue moon is ok but to be sensible about it and base it all on the improved knowledge that comes along with healthy eating

I'm vegan; you can get all the nutrients from the eliminated food groups through alternatives and supplements. But I too would be interested on data that included vegans.

lilac

hey great to hear from a vegan just out of curiosity do u know of any studies that include vegans ??

i would be interested in learning more and about the supplements needed as well, have to keep my brain active and absorb as much info as i can along the way

if im being nosey or u dont want to tell me then just say so i wont mind

I actually take a pre-natale (sp?) Suppliment. Not because I'm pregnant or trying to conceive, my dr just thinks bc of my vegan lifestyle and eating disorder its the best way for mw to ensure iron, calcium etc.

lilac

thank u so much for that hon, im learning so much from all u wonderful people here on the site =D

You're very welcome!

Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful insight, it's so incredibly helpful. I never knew how vegans were able to get any missed nutrition, and now I better understand it. Thank you for that.

You can get your iron and protein from soy based products but soy tends to be heavy on the sodium and calories, so i just personally find pre-natale vitmains to give me everything i need as a whole.

lilac

now that makes sense when i think about my vegan friends, they use soy mince? does that sound right? quite a few times a week, i will be able to ring them and tell them this new knowledge as im sure they dont know about the sodium either

what else can u teach me, i know this is cheeky but if u dont ask u dont know

I tried a vegetarian diet once that was high in soy and my health depleted a bit because I don't think that I was getting the appropriate amount of nutrition. My doctor highly recommended that I add poultry back into my diet in order to get the appropriate nutrition. It helps to know now that soy is high in sodium. Are there other protein alternatives for vegans and vegetarians that you are aware of? Maybe it's time for me to do some research on this....

I just posted something regarding the Vegan Diet & Protein in Healthy Eating as I feel that this is an important topic and spurred some questions with us here. I found this link to be very helpful in terms of better understanding alternative form of protein [to that of even soy]; http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

puppy

slow down hon im still on pommegranates here

but im a veggie and always have been but i must admit i do eat a lot of eggs i will get to vegan posting as soon as i can