Hello everyone, I am new to this my husband of 10 years is a

Hello everyone, I am new to this my husband of 10 years is addicted to video games. I feel like I am at my breaking point. I feel like I am a single mom to our 6-year-old. Am I the only that feels this way? How do yall deal with this?

1 Heart

I am so sorry to read that your husband is addicted. I imagine he is on there for hours a day, and ignored you and your child? This sounds awful. So, I have a few suggestions. Does he think he has a problem? How many hours a day does he do them? If you talk to him about it, does he get angry? Are you familiar with the science of addiction? Video game addiction can be as real as alcohol, heroin, etc. For a start, can you google some youtubes about the science of addiction, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYphZvRHm6Y. (That one's pretty dry, you may prefer a shorter one.). Second, you may possibly find it helpful to go to an Al Anon meeting. That's a free 12-step support group for friends and family of alcoholics. I realize your husband isn't an alcoholic, but he seems to be in the midst of an addiction. Some people find these meetings helpful, some don't. Anyhow, you might want to check one out - google Al Anon, as there are meetings all over the world. You don't have to talk, but you can see if something someone says gives you an "Aha!" moment for how to deal with your husband. Again, I'm so sorry. Please know that his behavior is not your fault. And that people can overcome addictions. Best of luck.