Hello. I am new to the group. I was diagnosed with epilepsy

Hello. I am new to the group. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 15. Throughout my last 30 years with the condition and many medications I am doing much better. I do experience nocturnal seizures and wondered if many epileptics suffer nocturnal seizures as well.

Well, i think that the location of where someone suffers epilepsy can be different in many patients. This also accounts for what could trigger a seizure. So during sleep, you have the REM sleep phase, and the memory area tries to store new memories in the long term part of the brain and consolidates them.
If you have epilepsy and a damaged area concerning during your REM sleep part gets activated, then it could cause a seizure. It is something you should consult with your doctor, but maybe it would be a wise idea to take medication just before you goto sleep in order to dampen the nocturnal seizures.

Our histories are very similar - I have had epileptic seizures for almost as long as you have, but it was not formally diagnosed as such until I was almost in my 30s. Up 'til then I had been having a lot of what turned out to be seizures that affected my somatic-sensory system and they caused my blood pressure and pulse rate to sky rocket (among other things - I would usually collapse and pass out), and it was often blown off as drug-seeking behavior until I saw a neurologist at a major teaching hospital in Boston, MA and it was figured out in less than a week. The timing was such that I could be part of the last FDA study for the vagal nerve stimulator; I have now had one since 1995, and it has worked wonders for me as far as calming down that crazy somatic-sensory reaction. I do still take some medication as well (a small amount of Zonegran), but not nearly as much as I did years ago. And I have also gotten wiser to my triggers as I have grown older, like I avoid flashing lights and loud noises. Occasionally I do still have a nocturnal seizure, though - generally, that happens when I am really tired, have been exercising too much, or something else has messed up my normal functioning and it shows up when I am switching in and out of REM sleep at night. I used to have a boyfriend that would tell me I had a broken transmission (he was a car buff) - it's a lot like that; I still slip gears sometimes. As long as nothing bad happens and I seem to be okay, I don't really make a big deal about it since it just confuses the whole issue and I have had so many seizures over the years that I know even though I hate it I'll be okay. It is disconcerting, though, for me - here I have been going along with my healthy-ish life, and this thing comes out of the dark to mess with me. The above commenter is right, though - you ought to mention this to your doctor. Mine has me on that dose of Zonegran just because of the nocturnal ones. Fortunately, I don't seem to break through during the daytime anymore, but I bet I still could if the right circumstances were in place.

Thank you both for the feedback and information. Is Zonegran a new medication? I am currently taking Trileptal and Lamictal. Do you find it is better to take meds at certain times of the day?

Zonegran has been around for a while, although it is newer than a lot of the others like Depakote and Dilantin. Actually, I take the generic equivalent which is Zonisamide. I usually take my medication at bedtime as per my neurologist's recommendations. There have been times when I've been in the hospital for one reason or another, and the nurses have given me all my meds. first thing in the morning after I have already taken most of them the night before. I always end up with a splitting headache from the extra Zonegran. At least I'm not generally walking around - I bet my balance would be screwed up as well. I suppose I could refuse it, but then I'm always afraid I will get in trouble. Side effects usually don't pose a problem until you get to 300 mg. I take 100 mg at night, so I am not used to the medication again the next morning. The nice thing about it is that my doctor doesn't have to send me to get routine blood work done all the time like he did with a lot of the other meds I tried.