Hello, I'm 17 years old and my plucking started around the a

Hello, I'm 17 years old and my plucking started around the age 13, when I started shaving. I would pluck the hairs on my legs that the razor missed and then I would spend hours plucking them when my hair started growing back. This was around the time school was becoming really stressful for me due to other health issues. I am diagnosed with Lyme disease, anxiety, and depression, which causes me to miss a lot of school. I've gone a few years without any really bad urges to pluck, until a few months ago when I began plucking my head hair. My friend group and grade 12 year has really triggered the pulling. I didnt classify the pulling as trich until recently though, because for one, I didn't know there was a name for it until last year and also I was denying that my pulling was damaging. I have very thick hair and I told myself that it was ok to pluck it because it could just get thinner and easier to manage (I'm often very frustrated with my hair). I tried to disperse the plucking areas so that I wouldn't have any bald spots, but I didn't realize that there was one area I focused on for a large amount of time. Just last night I noticed the 1 1/2 inch bald spot on the back of my head and freaked. I've now realized my trich has gotten out of hand. Luckily I still have lots of hair and the bald spot is hidden for the most part, but seeing it really made me more self aware. Realizing now that I can do severe damage, will help me stop pulling my hair. So today I made play-dough and slime and downloaded apps to keep my hands busy. I've also had a bath and massages my scalp and bald spot to help it grow back.. I'm worried there will be damage. Is there anymore I can do? Is there any tips someone can offer me to grow back healthy hair and keep it?

2 Hearts

Hair loss treatments can help to re-grow hair in most instances of hair loss but rarely are they suitable for trichotillomania sufferers due to the uncontrollable nature of their condition. However, in the case of your friend, there are treatments that we offer which may be able to help restore hair in areas of baldness, provided the hair-pulling practice is no longer a habit and the follicles have not been scarred. Trichotillomania is a form of traction alopecia and we regularly treat this condition successfully, but if the follicles have been damaged to the point of scarring, the hair will not grow back.

Thanks for the reply. I have since recolated my plucking to my legs because I don't want to be bald, but for the most part I haven't felt the strong urge to pull. I am trying to destress, starting by cutting off communications with my emotionally abusive "friends".

How can I tell if I've scarred the follicles? Also is it normal for my head to itch in the area of the bald spot? I've noticed it's itching and I can feel a few short hairs growing. I'm hoping I won't need any treatment and that it will all grow back, if I let it.

1 Heart

@anon_flower I am not sure honey you might have to go to a derm. dr. to see if that has happened but you can massage the scalp with coconut oil and that should heal it and make it start to grow. Try to not over wash it or brush it to much right now do the oil at night it really does help the hair. xo

From Hair Loss & Baldness to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)