Hi everyone I am new to this group. I am bipolar and have i

Hi everyone I am new to this group. I am bipolar and have insomnia. When I do sleep I suffer from nightmares., but that’s not the real problem. I just don’t sleep like regular people. I sleep an hour or two then I’m up for an hour or so. It’s like that until I finally crawl out of bed. I’ve tried a lot of different kinds of sleeping pills from Ambien down to Trazodone. Nothing works. My psych just tells me it’s a ptsd/bipolar thing. Has anyone had any luck controlling their insomnia? Maybe used something natural? Any secrets to the problem?
Thank you.

1 Heart

I’ve done mediation, and read book until fall asleep. My insomnia issues probably not as bad as yours but I’ve also taken chamomile tea and Benadryl.

@Foundlove agree. chamomile and valerian pills, also relaxation video on you tube.

Those are great ideas. I'll give them a try. Sadly, Benadryl didn't work just made me grouchy the next day. I will try the mediation and reading a book. Plus the chamomile tea. Valerian pills are they in a drug store or online? My major problem is I take Lithium. There are over 600 and something drugs and natural products that interact with it. I don't know them all. I will give everything a true. I appreciate your help and input. I just want to sleep like a normal person, You know what i mean? Take care everyone.

Yes of course, you always need to check with your doctor first. Nightmares, ptsd, and night terrors are seriously debilitating. Many forms of valerian can be found online and or at health food stores. A trusted local store might be more reliable. Reduce your daily stress if possible. become more aware of what agitates you most. hopefully as your days become calmer, so will your nights. Recovery from ptsd is not easy. Be patient.

2 Hearts

I still have Insomnia. I don't go to sleep until 3:36 a.m. in the morning every night. I would like to get some sleep. And, I just want to rest.

@rod1985 I know the feeling. I usually go to bed about 4-6 am. I’m up at 10am after sleeping an hour and then being up an hour and so forth. I don’t know why I don’t sleep. Some of it is pain and some is just me. I have to take several naps during the day , I never feel fully rested. I’m always so tired and have a hard time getting stuff done…
I wish you luck and some rest. There are people out there like you. My best friend doesn’t sleep either. We end up talking on the phone at night while the world is resting. lol