Hi everyone! I'm new here. I was diagnosed with bpd 10 years

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I was diagnosed with bpd 10 years ago. My issue now is that my doctor took me off risperdal because I'm doing much better than I was, but I'm having withdrawal side effects. I'm nauseous, have tons of anxiety, hot flashes, insomnia, shaking etc...has anyone else had to go through this? I did this once before, but apparently I forgot how bad it was. How did you deal with it?

1 Heart

Hello, Missbecca! It may be that you need to be weaned off the medication more slowly. Also, if you were doing well on the Risperdal than why change it? Were you having side effects? Maybe you simply need the medication!

2 Hearts

Yes, that is not a medicine that should be quit cold turkey. I was weened off of it. If you are doing better w/o it, the doeses should be lessened, until depletion. But you should NOT do cold turkey with this medication.

I didn't do it cold turkey. I cut down, but I still feel like crap. I don't need it anymore because I'm not going through as much crap as I was and I'm more stable now. I don't want to go back on the medicine because I believe it was a big factor in me gaining weight and I although I feel ******, I feel less like a zombie and I'm not sleeping like 17 hours a day anymore.

It sounds like you are doing it correctly, but some meds are harder to come off than others. If you don't mind my asking, what dose were you on and how long did your doc have you wean down?

I was on 4 mg. He cut it down to 2mg for a month and I had no side effects so he cut it out completely.

That's reasonable, but it sounds as if you would benefit from cutting the dose in half once a month for three months. Much easier for the mind to handle.

Yeah next time I'll do that.

@Error101 thank you, I’ll try.

try Abilify

How are you today?

@Ck80211 I have tried ability. I’m good, thanks. You?

Awww I'm sorry! Why don't you go back?

uhhh long story. I had a breakdown in March and im reconfiguring my life

Sorry to hear. Are you doing any better now?

Hope your withdrawal symptoms are better now. If they're not, I thought I'd let you know that some people find acupuncture helpful for withdrawal.

@L2015 thank you very much! My doctor actually switched me to latuda and it’s working so far.

I'm glad to hear that!

1 Heart