Hi! Going to a psychiatrist is not an option for me. Is th

Hi!
Going to a psychiatrist is not an option for me. Is there ANY chance I can get over skin picking by myself? I have no other problems in my life, finished my studies, healthy (except this), loving family, etc.
I've been doing it for the past 6 years and it has really become a problem in the last 3. It is making me depressed, anxious...
What do I do?
Can someone here help me? I'm too embarrassed to ask for help irl.

[=========>] [EDIT1]: I finally got around and went to the psichiatrist. He started me on a treatment involving a set of pills and he said it will generally take 1-2 years for my disorder to be cured and that I will start noticing improvements in the first 3 months. So far (3 days on) I've had 2 episodes in which I opened some old scars... And TODAY I trying SO hard to keep myself from doing any more damage to myself... oh, I so need someone to talk to.

I think you can, but I don't have any advice as to how. group?

"to group up"? how? where? who with?

So you got shocked back on track?
For me, something like that usually happens after a rough patch... it gets so bad my mind kinda stabilizes for a while... but it's not long before I start going back at it.

Hi, I've been skin picking and hair pulling for about 20 years of my life now, and over the last 6 months to a year, any time I have noticed myself picking or pulling, I always think of what needs to get done right then. Does the toilet need to be cleaned? What about the dishes? Did I make my bed? Have I already flossed, brushed my teeth and use mouthwash?

All these little things keep your hands busy, not just busy, but PRODUCTIVE.
I know it sounds silly, and there will be days where you still pick, but honestly, keeping your hands busy is literally the best thing.

If you'd like, feel free to message me! Best of luck :) you can do it!!

@ivanaguadalupe I will try to switch focus too… but my mind doesn’t always respond to what I’m asking it to do…

You have to really focus.. it's hard to do, but you can do it!

You have to literally force yourself to do whatever needs to get done. It's hard, but once you see the productivity and what you have accomplished, it only encourages you to get more done.

What kind of pills? I 'm on antidepressants and they do not help with skin picking. I've been picking for 40 years and just recently learned its a psychological issue. Doctors kept giving me itch creams. The older I get the worse it gets.

@Persevere escitalopram paired up with clonazepam. Doctor said its an OCD related issue so treatment for it will cause the skin picking to go away too. He also said its going to take a couple of years for it to work… I still pick… I still feel like shit…

From Skin Issues to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)