Hi guys. I was doing fairly well for almost a month and I

Hi guys.
I was doing fairly well for almost a month and I gave in last week and bought a bin of ice cream at the store. I binge ate the entire bin in less than ten minutes and went to work out after. I feel terrible. I feel as if I was cheating on myself. I have to get through this situation.
I was reading an article today about how fructose is bad for you, even worse than glucose and I thought I should share the info. Apparently eating a fruit is fine as it does not has a great amount of fructose, nature is perfect and wouldn't poison us like that, but processed foods and even foods that contain agave as a 'natural' form of sweetener should be avoided. High fructose corn syrup found in sodas, ice creams, all types of candy, etc, should also be avoided. Note that I am not saying glucose is better than fructose, both are harmful for our organism in different ways and both should be avoided.
Anyway, I thought sharing some info could maybe help out someone out there.
Thanks for reading.

yeah, and at the end of the day sugar is sugar, our pancreas has to bear the burden of helping to metabolize it. Chocolate is always my downfall in slipping back into sugar mode...

@Aura82 I know you have probably heard this many times now but try dark chocolate instead. Read my comment bellow it might help you too! Hope you well!

@Lindseylovesjoe I recently just found out about a medicinal herb called Gymnema Sylvestre. It helps to regulate your blood sugar levels and to control the sugar cravings. I was already taking a tablet supplement from Himalaya Herbal Healthcare which by the way is really good, but I also found out that if you get the leaves from Gymnema Sylvestre and chew them in your mouth it makes the sugar taste not perceptible by your tongue so if you’d eat anything sweet, let’s say a piece of chocolate, right after you bite on the leaves you would only be able to taste the other ingredients in the chocolate and not the sweet taste. I discovered that you can take a concentrated liquid extract and dilute it in a glass of water or take it direct in your mouth and the sweet taste would be tasteless for about one to two hours after you take it. You can also get the leaves, it sells on Amazon. I hope this helps. I’m very sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital, this is horrible and sugar addiction is a terrible addiction to have. Hope you are feeling better. Try Gymnema and tell me if it worked for you, I am getting myself a liquid extract of Gymnema today and I will update my thoughts on it in the next few weeks.

I'm a nurse. Diabetes type 2 does have a genetic factor, however, it is said that it can be entirely avoided by proper lifestyle habits. Eating too much sugar (and it does NOT matter where the source of sugar comes from, I.e. Sucrose, glucose, fructose) frequently will lead to the pancreatic cells being unable to function properly, which means that the insulin secreted is insufficient for cellular metabolism of the sugars circulating in the bloodstream. This is called insulin-resistance. Insulin is given for diabetics with high sugar levels in their blood in order to compensate for the lack of insulin secreted or the lack of functionality of the insulin that was secreted.
My advice is to exercise instead of eat sugar-laden foods. And I don't mean exercise like attempt to be a body-builder...no, that will set you up for failure and setbacks and more binges or sugar consumption spikes. So start out very small. This is easy. Tell yourself that every single time you have a doubt- it works ;) Then, gradually allow yourself to wean off of the sugar habit. Let's just call it a "habit", because that term has the power to alter your perception on the whole issue. Habits are changeable factors. We as humans have the awareness and motivation to change habits. Change will ultimately prevent disease processes from taking hold in people's lives. Think of something that motivates you outside of yourself if you need to. If you have a child or relative that you wish to be a superb role model for, or if you want to see them graduate etc are solid reasons to change, in my opinion. Always talk to your physician about lifestyle changes and your personal medical history as it is pertinent he/she is aware and can prescribe regimens or treatment programs etc that are specific to you and will be most beneficial to your health. I hope I was of use to someone out there!!! Anything is possible.

@BirdieSoul Thank you so much for your comment. This is of a great help and value for me and I’m sure for a lot of people out there seeking for help. I wanted to speak up about what I really feel about sugar because I know how hard it is for us addicts to admit it to ourselves, our beloved ones and to our family. We are afraid of being judged and misunderstood and we think that this is just a stupidity and we are being immature about how to deal with it. Only those who suffer from any kind of addition know what I am talking about and I completely agree with you that once you see your addition as a habit things get a lot easier to handle. I was addicted to cigarettes along with sugar and I would compensate one addiction with the other. I thought that if I smoked it would suppress my hunger and I would eat less and have less binge relapses. Turned out, when I started to smoke I did not know how sugar could influence my body, my organs and my brain. I did not know sugar could be addictive nor that I was eating so much of it from sources I had no idea had added sugars or would be metabolized as sugars in my body. I would binge on bread, pasta, cookies, pastries, ice cream, granola bars, flavored yogurt, potato chips, etc.

But I got to a point in my life where I just knew I had to quit cigarettes, after a couple of attempts and fails I realized I had to see it as a bad HABBIT and slowly persistently work my way out of it. I started to realize that every time I woke up after having my morning coffee I would go straight for a cigarette, that every time I left a building, my home, a subway station, even if I was inside somewhere I could NOT smoke for only a few minutes, once I was outside the first thing I would do was light up a cigarette. I noticed that I smoked more when I was drinking, when I was around my friends who also smoked, when was stressed, when I was sad, when I was happy, I basically found many excuses to smoke. My sugar craving never stopped though, it might have gotten harder to deal with after I quit cigarettes but I’d rather deal with it than mask the problem with another problem. Once I pointed out why I was smoking and when did the smoking action had become a habit I started by cutting the habits first. So if the main reason of smoking was to cope with stress I didn’t need a cigarette right after my morning coffee right? I was just waking up and wasn’t feeling stressed. If I was happy I would celebrate by EATING a little more, I did not need a cigarette… And so on and so on. Eventually I quit, after three years of smoking a pack of cigs per day.
I gained some weight and restarted on my health habits in order to get back in shape. I was always an active person but I had to put on more effort in order to cope with my now “free of excuses health mind body and spirit” version of myself. But no matter how hard I tried I wasn’t getting anywhere, that was when I came across an article alerting about the side effects of sugar in your body.
Well, now I’m here, almost two years after I quit cigarettes trying to cope with my sugar addiction and I just realized that maybe I was seeing it all wrong and instead of fighting it I should start to see it as a bad habit, just as I did with cigarettes, and work slowly towards my goal of freeing myself from this addiction.
Thank you so much for your comment!