Hi guys, I'm completely new to this group & after eight

Hi guys, I'm completely new to this group & after eight years of binge eating struggles, I am finally seeking outside help. I'm a 22-year-old senior in college and I've struggled with this ever since my dad passed away when I was fourteen. Does anyone have any advice? Has one-on-one or group therapy helped anyone in the past? Really need some encouragement & I'd love to offer what I can as well, I feel really positive about finally putting an end to the binging.

Hi! I'm new to the group as well! I spent about a year in one-on-one therapy and went occasionally to an in-person support group. I can tell you that the one-on-one therapy was really helpful for me. Being able to start looking at why I binge and what I can do to prevent it was a real eye-opener for me. My therapist was the one who helped me do that.

I've recently had a series of relapses and that's why I joined this support group. I've been struggling with binge eating disorder since I was a teenager (I'm 30 now). I've found that (for me at least), it's never "easy," but it gets easier. The more time I spend taking care of myself and really paying attention to how I'm feeling, the less time I spend wanting to binge eat.

Hope your day has gone well!

Hello you two,

This is probably a breach of internet etiquette somehow but the original post was asking for advice so i'm going to repost something from another thread. I believe the roots of binge eating to be both from a variety of emotional reasons as well as physical ones. Here are my thoughts on the physical piece:

Hi all,

This is a long post but I think that people will want to hear this.
I've posted in this group several times in the past but haven't been on in about a month.

It's been weeks since I last binged and I have been trying something a little different lately. In the past, and at present, I have thought it extremely helpful to get at least "some" exercise daily. Walking or even walking in place in front of your TV counts. I've continued this, along with eating smaller meals 5-7x daily, and attribute at least part of my success the last few weeks to the exercise and frequent snacking. Now on to the next piece ...

I've been on a vegan diet for a year, initially for health reasons but now for ethical ones as well. This diet has had it's pros and cons from a binge angle. From time to time I think I binged because I wasn't getting enough calories, or I had vitamin or mineral deficiencies. However, the big, big, big pro is the large amount of naturally occurring fiber (>50 grams) that I get when I eat the right foods, which allows my stomach to feel full constantly. In fact, I have been getting so much fiber that I don't think I was eating enough calories day to day, which leads me finally to the change over the last few weeks. (NOTE: please, please do not run out and start taking fiber in supplement form, for many reasons I won't go into.)

It's been a challenge to figure out how many calories I actually need using calorie calculators given that being on a vegetarian diet actually allows you to eat more calories (google thermogenic effect vegetarian diet) and the fact that I lift weights and have more muscle than average. For years my expectations on calorie intake have been wrong because I was used to seeing the numbers drop on weekdays then skyrocket on weekends or binge days. So, i've been experimenting with eating more and more calories to try and find the point of maintaining my weight. The side effect of all this has been that I feel satisfied each day with my food intake and a lot of the emotions and drives that go along with bingeing don't seem to be an issue lately. For instance, I won't rush to the fridge, chow down on something, ignore whether or not i'm full, and repeat until I am "high" on the food. Also, even though I still get stressed and react poorly, the impulse to eat is offset by the fullness from the fiber and the extra calories.

So, although I certainly don't lose weight as fast as I was before, I also am not hurting my brain, esophagus, stomach, kidney, and liver by having three times my daily intake.

Please don't do anything unhealthy as a result of this post, but consider what I've said and think about speaking to a medical professional or dietitian about whether any of this experience might apply to you. Last, I know numbers are discouraged, but I think it's helpful to illustrate what i'm saying because I think it could help people since i know it's hard to accept this kind of thinking as truth, sometimes. I'm 31, 5'9", 165 lbs, and right now i'm maintaining my weight (although building muscle while losing fat gained during bingeing), or possibly losing weight slowly, eating ~2800 calories per day. This is much more than I ever thought I needed but i'm not gaining weight and itt took experimentation to figure this out.