Hi my name is Dee..I'm 52 I'm an above the knee amputee only

Hi my name is Dee..I'm 52 I'm an above the knee amputee only since Feb 7th 2016 I'm just one month out and looking to meet and talk to others.

Hi Dee. Welcome! How are you feeling? How is your incision healing? Baring any complications you should be fitted with your first prosthetic after eight weeks or so.
I had a BKA in April 2014. I was just fitted with my third leg and my prosthetists believed I'll have another before the end of the year. I'm not sure how it goes with above knee but I expect you too will have a lot of volume loss which will require you to be fitted with a 2-3 sockets before your leg stabilizes.

I'm sure you have lots of questions and I'm here to help if I can. If I don't know the answer I can find out for you. There's a couple of great support groups through Facebook too if you are interested.

As tks so much for getting back to me. I get my staples out on Weds. My incision has been grt. I feel good. Just working on getting the pain meds for the phantom pain under controll because for me that's no joke. I had 14 surgeries on my left leg to try and save it but the infections and the blood transfusion were really getting the best of me..alot of hair loss and weight loss. Tks again for getting back to me it means alot I hope to keep in touch !!!

@Believe1963 …P.S…Can you pls tell me why my pic is so big lol. That wasn’t my plan lol

Phantom pain is real pain!! I've cried myself to sleep many nights. It did get better when I got my first prosthetic. For me the compression of the liner and socket helps. I still wear a shrinker at night as its comfortable for me.
Phantom pain is different for everyone. For me it manifests in the form of extreme heat in my missing foot. My foot feels like it's on fire and I want to soak it in a bucket of ice water. At it's worst I take 900-1200mg of gabapentin along with Vicodin and Ativan as pain causes my anxiety to shoot through the roof. I was prescribed Lyrica. It works great but I didn't like the side effects. You and your doctor can decide what's best for you.

I don't know why your picture is so big but you're a beautiful lady and there's no need to hide :)

Tks so much for keeping n touch with me. I'm getting my staples out today and my shrinker put n tomorrow. When I have more time I'll reach back out to you. Have a get day !!

1 Heart

@Believe1963
How are you doing since you had your staples removed? Are you able to wear your shrinker comfortably? Some find it painful but I find the compression helps control my phantom pain.