Hi there. I am new to this site and feel a bit awkward. I h

Hi there. I am new to this site and feel a bit awkward. I have an online shopping addiction. I buy whatever I want (within reason), and eventually return everything. I am tired of living this way and will start therapy soon. I am embarrassed, ashamed, and do not feel good about myself. Aside from the fact that I cannot afford everything. I am sad.

1 Heart

Welcome in! I'm proud of you for entering this support group and signing up for a therapist to talk about your shopping addiction. You're going to benefit greatly from therapy for your shopping addiction and I hope your first session whenever it is will give you clarity and comfort knowing that solutions will follow. Online shopping addiction is pretty common, so no need to feel shame or embarrassment.

Here are my tips: write down every single purchase big or small to take accountability for your purchases and tally them up at the end of the month and try to "beat" that price the next month by let's say a hundred or more. Try to block websites that are tempting to you or set a budget for those websites and specific days in which you can use them- I think there might be a computer app for this, but I'm not sure. There's a great self-help book called "To Buy or Not To Buy" that I always recommend to friends or relatives with shopping addictions. There's Debtor's Anonymous which does anonymous phone and zoom calls. Lastly, I recommend for you to pick out your favorite distracting hobbies: maybe cooking, cleaning, art, watching tv, listening to music, exercise etc and start doing them if you feel the hankering to shop- even a half hour of your chosen hobby can benefit in distracting you from shopping. I hope this helps and I think that with hard work and compassion and patience towards yourself, you will make it through this! I'm rooting for you

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. Good advice. I have started writing down as I spend money and will see after a week where I stand. I realize what I need to do, it’s just doing it.

I started writing down what I am spending. Amazing how much it is without you really noticing. I feel better already just being on this site and getting a therapist. I don't want to start therapy AGAIN but this is a new area for me to talk about. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement.

1 Heart

@Legalwiz10 I’m starting therapy soon to treat my shopping addiction too and I know how you feel. It’s empowering just to make the appointment. I’ve also started writing down my purchases and you’re so right, that stuff adds up fast! Just wanted to let you know I’m in the same boat and we can do this!