How do I know if I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

How do I know if I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Hi Ellelove92, following is a link that I found to be helpful regarding BDD, this should help you better assess if you have BDD symptoms;

"What is Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Body Dismorphic Disorder (BDD) is described by the psychiatric Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders as a preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance, and if indeed a slight defect is present the individual's preoccupation with that defect is markedly excessive. There is an ongoing debate among researchers regarding the exact categorization of BDD as a disorder, but many professionals consider it to be a form or subtype of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Nevertheless, the symptoms of BDD manifest as excessive concern with one's appearance or a particular part of one's body, the concerns propelled by self-focused obsessions that generate significant levels of distress that disrupt one's ability to function. BDD is marked by excessive preoccupation so intense it makes it extremely difficult to focus on anything other than that body part or perceived flaw, provoking requests for reassurances from others as well as checking and seeking reassurance in any available mirror or reflection. A major symptom of BDD is a tormenting doubt; the underlying question related to uncertainty about ones body part, or appearance. It is important to mention that symptoms can shift from concern about one aspect of appearance to another at any time...."

curious to know what kind of treatment there is for BDD?

Hi there, here is some information on treatment for BDD that may be helpful;

"Are there treatments for BDD? What are they?
There are excellent treatments for BDD. One of them is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) with uses exposure and response prevention. Also the addition of mindful awareness training, cognitive restructuring, and Socratic questioning to CBT can be useful. At our Westwood Institute for Anxiety Disorders, we have been using videotaping, and objective self-portrait description in writings. We have also recently ordered numerous distorted mirrors that are used in exposure exercises to help patients intensify the distortions. This technique has been successful so far. At our institute combination of medications and CBT are commonly used. We often employ an interdisciplinary team to work on each case and treatment is tailored to each case. We also have five psychiatrists that are OCD and anxiety disorder specialists.

Are there medications that are effective?
Medications may or may not be effective. Each and every case is different. For people with high base anxiety, medications may be used to reduce the amount of experienced anxiety. In some cases, medications can also be used to alleviate other psychological disorders that are present and may interfere with the treatment of BDD (e.g., depression, panic attacks). However, some kind of therapy is required in addition to the medication.

Is cognitive behavior therapy an effective treatment for BDD?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy has been proven to be highly effective in treating BDD. At our institute we had many successful cases of people who have been treated with CBT and got great outcomes..."

HI sorry thought i'd just add on to what puppydoglvr was saying!

Since discovering that I have BDD I spent hours researching it and trying to understand it, and these are the main bits of advice I can give about treatment for BDD.

A lot of BDD sufferers (myself included) feel that cosmetic surgery is the only way. This is NOT an option because it does not solve the problem. The problem is not the way we look, but how we see ourselves, so changing appearance is not going to help. Only 2% of BDD sufferers who undergo plastic surgery feel that their symptoms lessen. The other 98% either feel the same, or worse about themselves This is important to remember because the idea of wanting to change is part of the disorder. Changing will not actually remove the distorted views we have of ourselves, and might even worsen them. Medication works with CTB and works really well for some people, but not for others. It depends what the doctor/counsellor suggests.

Cognitive behavioural therapy is usually the most effective because it works on changing your thought process. So instead of getting negative ideas about yourself, your brain starts to process thoughts in a positive way. It's the best to try I think because in roughly 80% of cases the symptoms of BDD lessen, which is incredible. Through CBT people get their confidence and their lives back.

Anyways not sure if any of that helped but that's just my view on the subject :)

All my love, Rosie xxx

Rosie, thank you so very much for giving us more insight and information on BDD. You are so fantastic!

Thank you for all the information! It was very helpful :)