How does EDNOS differ from Bulimia?

hello... i'm a Bulimic but recently came across this support group -- EDNOS-- and was wondering exactly what it was.

thank you!
caroline

Hi Caroline, that's a very good question, so I did some research and found information on EDNOS as follows at eatingdisordersonline.com;

"According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, examples of EDNOS include:

All of the criteria for Anorexia Nervosa are met except the individual has regular menses.
All of the criteria for Anorexia Nervosa are met except that, despite substantial weight loss, the individual's current weight is in the normal range.

All of the criteria for Bulimia Nervosa are met except binges occur at a frequency of less than twice a week or for a duration of less than 3 months.

An individual of normal body weight who regularly engages in inappropriate compensatory behavior after eating small amounts of food (eg, self-induced vomiting after the consumption of two cookies).

An individual who repeatedly chews and spits out, but does not swallow, large amounts of food.

Binge eating disorder; recurrent episodes of binge eating in the absence of the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors characteristic of Bulimia Nervosa."

Here is the direct link: http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/explain/ednos.php. Does this answer your question?

you are a sweetie for doing this puppydog lvr.

i guess i have full bulimia... i wished i had what appears to be the lower tier ED instead... might be easier to recovery... sorry its a bad joke but true...

xoxo
caroline

Caroline, how are you doing and feeling now? How is everything progressing with your recovery efforts? I am here for you.

Hi there, Caroline, I joined this group b/c I have Orthorexia, a condition I want to be recognized by the DSM (they are working on getting it in there, their needs to be more facts towards it)... I couldn't find it, but the original creator of this group had had a lovely intro to the EDNOS category which I found when I first came on here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_disorder_not_otherwise_specified
This is what I got:
"This category is frequently used for people who meet some, but not all, of the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. For example, a person who shows almost all of the symptoms of anorexia nervosa, but who still has a normal menstrual cycle and/or body mass index, can be diagnosed with EDNOS. A sufferer may experience episodes of binging and purging, but may not do so frequently enough to warrant a diagnosis of bulimia nervosa. A person may also engage in binging episodes without the use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors; this is referred to as binge eating disorder.
People diagnosed with EDNOS may frequently switch between different eating patterns, or may with time fit all diagnostic criteria for anorexia or bulimia.
People who eat a normal amount of food, but become exceedingly obsessed with healthy eating, or strictly categorize normal foods or entire food groups as "safe" and "off-limits", may be referred to as having orthorexia. However, this diagnosis is not formally accepted by the psychiatric community."

I had found a website once that spoke of some other disorders than what I have, some word like "big"-ism (where someone sees themselves as too small, something like that)... Their are also a number of others...
Hope you feel welcome! :) You are welcome here and I believe a lot of people on here are anorexic/bulemic, they just have a co-occuring disorder of EDNOS... That's as good as I get it.

Thanks!
C. :)

puppydog-
thanks so much... i've had my ups and down. i was out of town visiting my parents in CO and didn't b/p the entire time - 5 days. it just seems that each time i'm UNABLE to b/p due to different environment/people around me/vacation, etc. -- its fine. but as SOON as I get home, i get RIGHT back into that cycle...

it gives me hope and tells me that I CAN achieve this disorder but somehow i simply get caught up in craving overeating bad foods in huge amounts and then lose control again.

i try to tell myself that its obvious i can get through it if I've done it on all of my vacations with my signif other as well -- why can't i do it when i'm alone.

it seems that my ALONE TIME really gets to me.. i have the opportunity to b/p therefore i do it.

i'm so ready to move past this part of my life.. i want to feel good about myself and NOT guilty and not have a puffy face.

thanks so much for listening... and seeing how i was doing.

caroline

Hi Caroline, what is it about time on vacation that precludes you from b/p? Is it that you are surrounded by loved ones and feel fulfilled? And, then what comparatively causes/triggers you to b/p when you are home alone? There has to be an emotional trigger/component that is causing you to b/p when you are home alone.