How Have You Learned to Love Yourself?

Hi All, This is my first posting. I am new to this site and am grateful to have found it.

I am 52 years old and have struggled my entire life with very low self worth and poor self esteem. I have reacted to my issues in very self destructive ways (over eating, over spending, creating too much debt, letting people walk on me without finding the voice to stand up for myself, letting fear run my life - not trusting myself and not tapping into my inner strength to take the necessary steps forward when life gets hard ).

I am tired of living this way and desperately want to be mentally and physically healthy. I'm ready and willing to do the work required to build the respect, love, self worth and strength within myself that I deserve.

I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me about the things you did and that you found helpful in your journey to loving yourself.

Thanks so much.

Hi Lindalips, in order to really build my self esteem and self worth, I first started to list all of the positives about myself and would add to the list as often as I would think of another positive. Reading through this list daily and remind myself of these positives. And, a way to build self worth is to create purpose, and a way to do so is to list out your hopes, dreams and goals. Once you do so, you can start setting daily or weekly goals [whatever you have time for] and work towards them slowly but surely. By working towards your hopes and dreams, you start to feel true inner fulfillment and happiness. Many times we believe that these are unattainable, but I promise you that you can achieve most anything. I hope that this helps. Please know that I am here for you and here to help you in any way that I can.

Hi Lindalips...
Another thing you can try is to think about 3 people you admire and what you admire in them. Then think of what you can do to develop those qualities in yourself. It'll definitely help you like yourself more. If you can identify even one person in your life who makes you feel needed, and with whom you share a relationship of equality, just focus on that person, and how they make you feel. Do not settle for anything less than that! If someone makes you feel inconsequential, there is nothing wrong in putting an end to that relationship. The first person who deserves your attention is YOU.
As for being physically fit, start exercising. Even if you don't need to lose weight, just do 30 minutes of cardio a few times a week. I swear, exercise is such a mood uplifter!
Hope I've helped!
Ciao.

Hi Lindalips, how are you doing now? Just checking in. Hope all is well.