I am 33 years old. I have an amazing job in health care how

I am 33 years old. I have an amazing job in health care however, I have always suffered with dyslexia. I have found several creative and secret ways to help me get to were I am today.
My issue is that my mother has told everyone about my disability. My sister also was diagnosed with dyslexia and my mother has said " I am your mother this was a real issue for me " " I just want normal children " Well she remarried and got her wish, I just don't understand how she could tell everyone such private things about me. I understand now that it is not the worst thing in the world however I am having a real hard time dealing with the fact she has made it about her.

I understand where you are coming from. And I think you are right. Dyslexia is a condition that you live with and have overcome. It is not meant to be an excuse for your mother to throw herself a pity party to mope about how hard it was on her. I understand that parents of children with specialized needs and varying medical conditions will have a difficult time but I do think it is weird for her to make statements that ignore the fact that you and your sister are living with this condition and instead decided to go against your wishes and disclose this to people. There are people who have betrayed my trust as well, so I feel where you are coming from. Also I'm glad that you've begun to realize that you don't have to hide dyslexia from anyone. You've done well in your life. Be proud of yourself. And confront your mother about this. Ask her what her intention was when she made her statements. Hope you find some peace with this! Have a beautiful night! ;)

1 Heart

I understand your struggle man I go through every day my job and I work for the city of New York City

1 Heart

@Outsider33 I realize this is an older post but I wanted to respond. First of all, welcome to our group! I hope u stick around & share ur stories. We're here to support you in any way we can. :) Secondly, I can relate to u. Both of my sons hv ADHD & my oldest also has an LD. When my kids were younger, there were little things that made them stand out. My husband's family is a bit nosy & they wld always make observational comments. This bothered me & made me not want to talk about my kids' issues. My husband's family wld say, "But it IS our business," but really, NO it wasn't! As a result, we don't talk to them much anymore. I just want my kids to b looked at as regular kids, not seen for their disabilities. It's a hard issue. Do u tell ppl & risk their judgements or do u keep things to urself & risk losing relationships?

From Autism and Learning Disorders to ADHD