I am 51 and suffer from ED. it has gotten worse over the

I am 51 and suffer from ED. it has gotten worse over the period of time. Viagara and Cialis do not work for me because I don't have a blood flow problem. I have used the injection into the penis. That is the only thing that helps me.I recently broke up with my girlfriend so I don't have a way of experimenting with remedies right now.

Hi Skyrider1,

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I know you said you broke up with your girlfriend recently but here are some natural remedies you might want to try if you feel like the normal medical route isn't working for you:

Suggested Lifestyle Changes

Bear in mind that some of the problems leading to erectile dysfunction may lend themselves to the following non-drug (and cost-free) solutions:

Stop smoking. Nicotine can reduce genital blood flow and impair potency.
Check your meds. ED and sexual dysfunction are unfortunate side effects of many drugs. Consult with your pharmacist or doctor regarding substituting alternate medication without these effects.
Limit alcohol consumption. Alcohol’s depressive effects can have a negative impact on sexual functioning.
Shape up. ED is often linked with restricted blood flow to the penis. Keep your heart and arteries in good condition by maintaining a healthy weight, and following a diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Avoid saturated fats and trans fats. Regular aerobic exercise can both improve blood flow to the genitals and reduce the stress that can contribute to ED.
Deal with anxiety, depression and stress. These feelings may undermine desire and potency. Practice a daily stress-reduction technique such as breath work, meditation or yoga. Talk with your partner openly and honestly about your needs – and their needs – to help ease relationship tensions and avoid resentment and misunderstandings.
Don’t worry about your age. Sexual activity needn’t end because of age – that’s a myth you can discard.


Ginkgo. This herb may improve arousal in both men and women, perhaps by increasing blood flow to the genitals. It should not be used by those on blood thinners such as coumadin.
Yohimbe. This comes from the bark of an African tree, Pausinystalia yohimbe, is the basis of several pharmaceutical drugs used to treat impotence. It contains an alkaloid, yohimbine, which previously was the only drug listed in the Physician's Desk Reference as a sexual booster. This herb, however prized as an aphrodisiac, can have some side effects (agitation, anxiety and insomnia) that make many men prefer not to use it. Yohimbe bark and extracts are occasionally available in health food stores, but I do not recommend them.

As an alternative, try taking ashwagandha or a standardized extract of Asian ginseng. Ashwagandha, from the roots of a plant in the nightshade family called Withania somnifera, is reputed to be a mild aphrodisiac and has long been popular in India. Asian ginseng, or Panax ginseng, is a good general stimulant and sexual energizer. For either, follow the dosage on the package, and give it a six or eight week trial to have an effect. Both ashwagandha and Asian ginseng are generally safe (but Asian ginseng can raise blood pressure and cause irritability and insomnia in some people).
(source: drweil.com)

I hope this is a little helpful.


Thanks for the advice. I eat carefully with mostly fruits and vegetables, and excercise. I am without a partner right now so I can’t try any remedies. My girlfriend got frustrated with my ED so that was one of the factors(not the only) why we broke up. Right now I am really down and need to spend time out of relationships. May need to get counseling because i really don’t feel like a real man cause I am basically impotent!