I am obsessed with my therapist

literally obsessed with my therapist. i don't know what to do. it's destroying me. i have had SO MUCH progress with this therapist compared to the other 5. I know this is transference. as we have discussed his counter-transference I have not come out and told him about this though. scared to.

Hi Rollercoaster28, thank you for sharing with us. I think that it would help you to share this with your therapist in a way that's comfortable for you. Can you ease into explaining your feelings to him, would this be possible?

i can understand that feeling of addicition to someone who is helping you, understanding you and validating you. you begin to love that person, for sure.I am female and i had a male therapist for five years, i was obsessed with him too, the problem was though that as time moved on i could let go of him, i couldnt make progress anymore, because i was so attatched to him, or even addicted to him. even though it was so so hard to move away from him and start seeing someone else, it was the best thing i did and i dont regret it.

Itsgoodtobe, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I think that it's so helpful to know that you were able to break away and how much better you are because of doing so.

Thanks guys! Yes, I am going to see him tomorrow and I have also just recently started talking to another guy and i am starting to lessen the obsession with my therapist. but i will discuss it with him tomorrow

I see I'm a few days late with this post. I can relate to being attached to people. I attach myself to those that are closest to me, including my therapist. I know its not good because when I do that I'm not totally honest with them. I'm worried about rejection so I fabricate this different person. What gets me into deep $h!t is I create a different persona with each circle of friends and family. I'll have one persona with coworkers, another with my sibling, another with my wife, etc. The problem comes when these circles combine. I'm saying all this to say it's best to be honest with what you are feeling.

I wish you the best.

Rollercoaster28, I am so happy to hear that you are talking to someone else and lessening the obsession with your therapist. It's good that you'll be opening up to him about this. Please let us know how it goes.