I can't stop picking

This is embarrassing for me to say since I've never really talked about it. I can't stop picking at my skin. I've never been diagnosed with OCD and I'm not even sure if that's the problem. I've picked at things for as long as I can remember but it seems to be getting worse than better. I used to just pick one spot, or one thing and I left my face alone. Now I'm picking at anything and I can't stop. I used to pick at spots that weren't noticeable but now I'm even picking at my face. I left two scars on my cheek that look like I got punched in the face. People often ask me what happened to my face and I just reply that it was acne. It started out as a small pimple that spread & I had a field day picking it over & over again. I wont' wear shorts unless I'm in the comfort of my own house because I've picked my legs apart. My back side (my butt cheek) is disgusting! It's covered in scars. I'm so ashamed that my husband has never even seen this. I've tried to stop and I can't. Most times I don't even realize I'm doing it. My husband will tell me to stop picking and I get mad at him for even noticing. I was at my father's today and he asked why my arms had marks on them. I am constantly putting on neosporin but it doesn't help. I just rip the band aides off when everyone is in bed and pick again. I am half italian and my skin is on the darker side so when the cuts do finally heal they look brown or like a bruise.. a scar.

I'm new here and I'm not sure what to expect or if I will get a response but I'm desperate. I know I look like a freak. I went to a friends house to swim & I was so embarrassed when I put my shorts on. I got in the pool very fast but I know she saw my legs. I feel like I just can't stop. Is there anyone else in the same situation?

Try focusing or engaging in an activity that can take your mind off of it. Plus if you keep picking at your skin, it'll scar and you don't want that. Even if you have to consciously remind yourself to stop it and the urge really overcomes you, try your hardest not to give in to the urge no matter what. It takes time they say it takes about 21 times engaging in a new activity or new behavior to get rid of the unwanted or bad habits. If your thoughts or urges are too much then seek professional help. Don't feel that something is wrong with you because there isn't. But the sooner you get help for something that is getting out of control now the better it is and sooner you'll be able to overcome it and live a happy healthy life. Don't pick!!!!:) Someone told me one time that picking only leads to bleeding and scars why do that to yourself when you should treat your body and self as a temple and love it not pick at it:)

Hi ban 124. I know a bit of what you are going through. I pick at my skin, but mostly I pull out my hair. Both skin-picking and hair pulling are anxiety disorders related to OCD. I know how you feel when people say, "Why can't you just stop?!" My dad used to do that when I was 12 or 13. Then we found out that it was a mental illness and he was much more understanding, even though it still frustrated him. It's best to get a counselor who specializes in the disorder. You can also check out these self-help websites.

http://www.trich.org/

www.stoppicking.com

Both are excellent research-based sites with plenty of resources to get you on the right track. No, you're not a freak, and you're not alone. You can work through this and get it under control if you get the right help and are committed to doing what it takes. Good luck!

Hi ban 124. I know how you feel and what you are going
through. I have also been diagnosed as having anxiety
and OCD. I would suggest going to a CBT for your OCD.
I think a CBT would really help you get your OCD under
control. Also, if you live near a library you can check
out some self help books to read. I have a book which
is called The Habit Change Workbook by James Claiborn,
Ph.D., ABPP and Cherry Pedrick, R.N. You can also get
a tape with soothing sounds which would help you not
to think about your anxiety.
I hope that my support helps you.

Theresa57

pls if ne1 interested in helping me by filling the questionairres to help our friends mail me @ [email protected] pls pls...i want ur help..ur data ould be kept confidential..i jus want to help the ocd people of our community..pls pls i need help to help others

through the questionairre u can get the idea about how severe is ur ocd.. and if u need help and want to talk to ur families u can refer to the scores of the questionairre..its a standardized psychometric tool dat is used to screen out the severity of OCD people and their problematic areas and then we plan a therapeutic programme for the individual suffering from ocd.

Wow, you just described the exact same thing I am going through! I get so angry if someone calls me out on 'picking' or if they tell me to 'stop'. I had NO clue that there was some underlying mental issue causing my need to 'pick' at my skin. I get embarrassed and have to hide my arms and shoulders. The doctor gave me a medication today to hopefully stop the anxiety and urge to pick and I am hoping it helps. I am so sorry you are going through the same thing! I think it is going to take a lot of determination and strong will to make our minds up that we refuse to keep 'picking'.....Best of luck to you!~Christine

Hey,
I don't pick at my skin but I can relate to the scar thing. I suffer from depression and I got involved with self injury. After a really bad day I was left with large keloid scars covering my arms. They are impossible not to see. It looks like someone tried to kill me. I can't wear short sleeves at all. I am so ashamed of my scars and I feel like I always will be. How are you coping with your scars? Is there anything you're doing to lighten them or have you heard of removal techniques??