I gave up sugar (and all sweeteners) 6 months ago, today. Be

I gave up sugar (and all sweeteners) 6 months ago, today. Best thing I ever did. I feel great, like a weight has been lifted off me...not just emotionally but physically. I have lost 40 pounds. That wasn't my goal but it sure has been a nice benefit. I was a hard core sugar addict. I'd find it whereever I could. I'd tell myself that I was going to quit but it never lasted more than a few days. August 19th, 2015 was the day I stopped. It wasn't easy but just like any other drug, the cravings went away after about 3 weeks. It's never going to completely go away but like alcohol, it's one day at a time. I excercise 5 days a week and improved my eating quite a bit. I'm 64 years old and I feel like I'm in my 30's. Honestly. I wish you all the power to turn away from sugar and feel the life flow back into you. It really, really works, if you can stick to it.

2 Hearts

wow, that's amazing!!!!!

1 Heart

Thanks, it's hard to give it up but I know no one who has given up anything addictive slowly. Cigarettes, booze, sugar, it's all a cold turkey quit. There's no way around it. But if I can do it, I know others can. I didn't have a buddy to quit with but I think it might have been a little easier if I did. That's probably a great way to go if you can find someone who also wants off the sugar train.

1 Heart

Wow if it had such a great impact on you I wonder if it would be the same for others. Good for you.

1 Heart

@bruindream It absolutely would. There is no question. Sugar is a drug and it changes your brain and body. We all have the power to change it back to the state they wish to be in. But it takes work and resolve.

starkeef[290] I am truly grateful that I decided to check in today to see your posts, as I am at a place of discouragement right now. I ate my last "goodie" on January 21, 2016; my 38th wedding anniversary; therefore, it has been almost five weeks. I am still at a stage of craving goodies; constantly thinking about the different treats I used to comfort myself. I have used sugar, since a young child, to soothe my emotional hurts and, now, I feel like I have lost, what I felt to be my only "coping tool." I feel a bit angry quite frankly. However, after reading your post ~ I felt hopeful!! Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I can make it one more day, now, with your encouraging words.

1 Heart

@Sharon55 Why discouraged? You’re doing it! Just take it one day at a time. Five weeks is amazing! You need to give yourself a pat on the back for that. Go treat yourself to something you like that isn’t sugar. Wine, beer a pizza anything that doesn’t turn on that addictive gene. That’s what I do when I feel the craving. I treat myself to something that I don’t have an addiction for. You’ll never lose the craving but it does subside a bit. And without the sugar god we all need to find non-drug ways of comforting ourselves. Because when we can truly comfort ourselves by not, eating, smoking, drinking, etc. whenever we need some comfort, that is the true you. That’s the true Sharon55 taking care of you. I wish you strength. If you need something to help you, watch ‘That Sugar Film’. It’s on iTunes. It’s amazing and startd me down my road. Here’s the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaWekLrilY

This is great! I really need to do this but my biggest problem is sugar in my coffee in the morning. That's so hard to quit for me.

1 Heart

@Cokie I have struggled with sugar since I was 13 and I just started trying to eliminate it from my diet this week on Monday (Aaaahh!!! So HARD!), the only sugar I use in my coffee is Stevia and it has been helping. I also use heavy cream which has no sugar at all, but is rich and seems to help with my coffee needs :slight_smile: . I am trying my hardest to do this Ketogenic diet which is basically no sugar, but you are allowed to use sugar substitutes. Sugar is in so many products it is extremely frustrating!