I had a few questions for those who have a prescription for

I had a few questions for those who have a prescription for Adderall. A quick backstory and I'll try to make this as short as possible. I took it for the first time in... 2008. I was working 2 jobs, triple shift and my brother gave me one. It did it's job, I got through what ended up being a 34 hour span of work. Since then I've taken it... 4 times? It's not something I use often at all (obviously) and the only times I've gotten it have been from my brother.

In 2014 I left my wife after finding out she was having an affair. I tried to work things out and save the marriage, but I was the only one trying. She refused to end things with the OG, so I made the hardest decision of my life and I left. And ever since then I've felt lost, depressed, not myself. I remember the man I used to be. The happy, bright, funny, smart, caring, ambitious, confident man. I miss that guy.

This is where the Adderall comes in. Back in September my brother gave me another one when he came up to visit, and I've sorta just been saving it for an emergency. Well today was that day. I worked 8 hours last night and then was asked to do a double shift this morning. I knew if I went to sleep I wouldn't be awake to get here by 7 so I stayed up and cleaned and did laundry. I got to work and stayed up on coffee as long as I could before taking what my brother calls "the reset button"...

For the first time in more than a year and a half I felt like the old me again. I wasn't bogged down in my own head running through the scenarios of "what if". I was confident again, I felt outgoing, and all the bitterness that seemed to set in with me and the customers I see dissappeared. I could focus and multitask like I used to be able to when I was a 911 dispatcher. I feel like I do my job so much better, I'm empathetic again. I care again. I'm friendlier.

I can't even begin to put into words what a relief it is to have that cloud lifted and finally feel like myself again. So I reached out to a psychiatrist in the area and was wondering if telling her that I took it off label would hurt my chances to get my own prescription for it.

Should I just begin counseling with her and see where it goes? Should I let her know I took it and how much it improved ... everything? Any advice would be appreciated. I've never had a long term prescription before. I've never taken anti depressants.

1 Heart

What you are doing is all wrong. The idea that there is a pill to solve your problems is a myth.

You saw the tour the france maybe? Where that guy using drugs ended up being nr.1 climbing up the mountain one day asif it was nothing, and being completely destroyed the other day? It's because everything comes at a price. Your body cells are being destroyed in a 34 hour work shift, you are not taking good care of your body at all. You are equally destroying yourself as that drug user going up the mountain.

It's your LIFESTYLE that is destroying you. The truth about anti-depressants is, that they are SYMPTOM suppressors and NOT problem solvers. And you have to make this distinction VERY WELL.

A normal person, who only eats fruits and vegetables(no additions) and only drinks water, who lives a regular lifestyle, and sleeps in a regular way doesn't need anti-depressants because they have enough energy through rest and a healthy lifestyle.

Think about it. The reason you took your first adderal was only because you had a ridiculous work shift schedule. If you just had selected a job with a regular 8 hour x 5 days in the week schedule.

So what is the ROOT CAUSE of the problem? It is your decision making to enter a job and to go along with such a ridiculous working shift or schedule to begin with. I know rescue workers, and medical personnel have wack and long schedules, but i disagree with it. A surgeon who has to work 38 hours cannot do his job properly anymore at the end of his day. I seriously think they need to reschedule and forcefully put in breaks for these kind of people, because i think that for many years these shifts are totally out of control, but enough of that.

The same counts for your wife leaving you. Taking a pill is NOT going to cure your depression. Having a life of yourself will. In reality you need to pick up the pieces of your life, and glue them back together and move on as soon as possible. I also lost the love of my life, i wanted to commit suicide because i thought life wasn't worth living anymore, but when i was hanging that rope on the ceiling i started thinking. I said to myself, you know what. She's not worth it, i said to myself, killing myself is not the way how to solve the problems of my life. The problem was that i was emotionally co-dependent on her, while in reality i should have fallen back on my own life. And that's what i did, i said to myself. I can always love her, but i have to realize our relationship has come to a dead end. And that beating a dead horse continuously is pointless. I needed to turn my car around and head back to the main highway of life. Was it easy? No, but by doing this i moved on with my life, and eventually met my new wife. Now that what happened is only a mere shadow of the past. But do you honestly think taking a pill could do all that for me? hell no, my life changed because i dumped strategies that didn't work for me with strategies that did work for me. You can take one pill, or a billion, but a problem will remain to be a problem until the end of time until you solve it, either by yourself or with the help of others.

This is just my advice, take it or leave it if you want.

1 Heart

I believe that therapy to help you work through your issues would be a good idea. It seems as though taking Adderall to solve your issues (temporarily) could lead to a lot more problems you just don't need. Meds used this way only put a mask over the real problem. I think being honest with a therapist is extremely important. So to answer your question, yes, I would tell her that you've taken Adderall.

You guys make good points. But to clarify the first time was years ago. When I left my wife I had nothing and for the last year and a half I've busted my *** at 3 jobs to get myself back on my feet and into a home I can call my own. I FINALLY was able to widdle those 3 jobs down to the one I have right now and if I can just tough out these last few crazy shifts it'll look good for me when the decision is made next week on who is to get promoted. I didn't want to work these crazy hours, I've HAD to in order to not be homeless. It's taken so much just to get back on my feet that I haven't had much time for anything else.

I guess I'll just have to see what next week has in store for me when they make the decision.

I didn't mean to sound snappy. I just don't want you to think I'm killing myself at work for no reason. I had to hit the reset button on my life at the age of 30 and start with nothing.

I now have a 2 bedroom apartment fully furnished, I'm less than a grand until I'm debt free, I own my car outright. I've done so much in this last year and a half and if I get this promotion it comes with a raise big enough that I can actually start to save money again. I guess it just felt good to feel like the old me again. I guess I just wanted that extra boost to get me over this last hurdle.

I have experience with adderall, Ritalin and others... by prescription for 10+ years.

1 Heart