I had to call a crisis line today because I don't know what

I had to call a crisis line today because I don't know what else to do. The counselor suggested this site until I could get in to see a psych. I am off meds and have been for 3 years. Things were going well until a few months ago. I started with the night terrors again and flashbacks were getting more frequent. I'm in a relationship with a guy that I love, but I push him away. Why? Because he says stuff or does stuff that makes me have flashbacks. Like when he touches me a certain way sometimes, or says something a certain way. They can be the simplest of things, but my mind distorts them and blows them up so much that I lose it. I can feel that switch in my head and I flip out. Does anyone else get this off of meds? I really don't want to go back on them and am afraid of going to psych because I don't want to be put in the hospital again, but I'm seriously going to lose everything if I don't get this under control. Can anyone help?

2 Hearts

@tornadobrokem Welcome to SG! You will meet many wonderful people here, fondly called SG friends. The bottom of the page is a FAQ, it will assist you in navigating the site. The top right hand of this page are numerous groups, also there is a Support Someone icon, familarized yourself with them. You may join as many groups as necessary. There are Depression, PTSD, and Sexual Abuse groups. Remember you're not alone, SG friends are here, to support, and be supported. Be strong the best is yet, to follow.......

Do you tell your boyfriend about the things he is doing that trigger you? If not, then you need to have a serious heart to heart talk with him and tell him about what he does that triggers you. He probably has absolutely no idea that he is causing you to have flashbacks and night terrors. Maybe you could figure out a safe word that you can say to him when he does something that triggers you. He can't possibly know them all, and you can't possibly tell him everything that does it in one conversation. Just tell him what's going on in your head, and I'm sure he will not want to keep triggering you. He wants you to be happy and loving, so talk to him and let him know what's going on with you. I think the safe word is a good idea. Good Luck

Yes I can relate and I should probably follow the advice people are giving here for a safe world. Passionate caressing often really freaks me out and turns me off.......reminds me of someone else and I feel claustrophobic. I feel bad hurting my husband's feelings.

1 Heart

@dean_na I’m glad that you like the idea of a safe word or 2. Maybe you can talk to your husband about it. I’m sure he would be very understanding. He will probably be very happy also knowing that he would be doing the right thing at the right time.

From Depression & Mood Disorders to Rape & Sexual Assault