I have felt so supported by people in this group, and now I

I have felt so supported by people in this group, and now I wish there wasn't such a negative stigma about hsv. It makes me angry that people I've been dating exclusively have left me because of hsv. I wish there was something we could do to change the way our culture thinks about the virus. There's so much more to life and it upsets me that I've missed out on forming relationships because of this.

1 Heart

You havent missed out on anything they did :-). If they left you because of it they were not the ones for you.

1 Heart

Omg you're so right! I didn't think of it like that.

I agree! I think the stigma and the emotional adjustment is FAR worse than the medical condition itself!
Not only that, but half of the people that would leave someone for HSV is likely to be a carrier themselves! It's truly unfair. But I think we can empower ourselves by being open and honest with our partners (despite the consequences of them possibly leaving). And educate them in the process. Don't talk about it like a death sentence. Tell them that 1/5 adults have it, and 60% of those adults will never know it because they will never have an outbreak, and therefore can pass it to others without knowing!
Remember that this is not a reflection of your character.
Stay strong and remember you will find someone who can support you

1 Heart

I think what is important when it comes to disclosing is that you talk about cold sores and you ask them about when they were last tested or have they ever had a cold sore in their life. Once you change the focus from herpes to cold sores it puts a different Slant on it and I often send somebody a link with information about it

1 Heart