I have just joined this group. I'm a 60 year old woman and a

I have just joined this group. I'm a 60 year old woman and about seven months ago I started buying vintage perfume. It started off fairly innocently. I only bought three or four. Then I just kept going. Now, seven months later, I've accumulated over 100 bottles of varying sizes. I have always been a shopaholic of sorts. At one time I love buying jewelry, shoes, clothes, books. But this latest issue has been a full blown addiction. I not only shop for perfume online, but also read perfume blogs all day. I have spent thousands of dollars (most of it from my student loan money. I am a PhD student and l live paycheck to paycheck on a grad student's stipend. I not only have massive student loan debt, but also credit card and medical debt. I help take care of my very elderly parents as well. So I'm under a lot of stress and anxiety, but I have not handled it well at all these past several months. I feel an overwhelming sense of guilt and shame yet at the same time get a rush from the pursuit of the next perfume and its arrival in the mail. My partner is aware of my problem, but in the past couple of weeks, when he's asked me if I've bought any perfume, I've lied and said "no". When in fact, I've bought several. I want to...need to stop. So here I am...reaching out to this community for support and help.

1 Heart

Oh no, lying in relationship on something that sounds this serious, is not good. If the partner find out, they will wonder what else you lied about. Thus leading to more insecurity. When you get an urge, can you get out and take a walk instead? I wish you the best.

1 Heart

Thank you for your comment. I did tell him about the lie the other day. He wasn't angry, but he was concerned and worried, but I'm glad I told him.
Yes, I really should stop when the urge arises and go out for a walk.

1 Heart

@ymarie61
You are welcome. A partner looking out for you can be awesome.