I have just recently been diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal

I have just recently been diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer. The tumor is part in my rectum and part in my anus. I am being set up to do radiation and chemotherapy for 6 weeks then I will take a break for 6 weeks for my body to rest. Then if the tumor has gone down enough we will do surgery to get it out then. After that I will do more chemotherapy and radiation (not sure for how long this time). Also because of where the tumor is at my doctor said that there is a good chance when we do surgery that I will lose my anus and have a colostomy bag for the rest my life at that point. I am grateful that I have good odds of beating this.
I am just having a really hard time about all this right now. I am 31 years old. This was not how I imagined my life(not that anyone with cancer imagines or plans for it to happen). I have a huge support system with family and friends, but at the same time I still feel so alone cause none of them truly understands what I am going through or how much this messes with my head. People keep telling me "at least your not dying" or "you need to stay positive your frame of mind is what's going to get you through this". I know I am not dying and when the time comes for me to go into fight mode next week when I start treatment. I will be as positive as I can and I will fight. But I believe it is okay for me to take some time to myself in my own head and work things out and just try to understand and process. They say all that stuff but it is different when you are the one that gets the news you have cancer and your whole world flips upside down and you have to change everything you seen in your near future. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I don't know what to do.

I have been feeling at a loss so I started to google support groups for this and this is how I came across this site. I guess I am just hoping to hear from others who are going through the same thing and how they are handling it. If they have any advice that could help me with what is coming up for me.
Also if anyone has gone through Chemotherapy and Radiation I would like to hear your experiences with it. I am scared about going through it all.
Thank you

1 Heart

oh man, I am so sorry! I have not been through this, so no, I don't get it, but that desnt mean im not sympathetic. group, do you have anything to share?

1 Heart

Thank you I appreciate you commenting. Just don't know where to turn so I'm just searching to find something that helps. If that makes any sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZAA-ROAcl4&feature=youtu.be@DenaHofheins how are you doing?

Hi DenaH, how are you doing? Have you had your surgery and how are you handling everything? Life has changed dramatically for you and it's ok to feel down, confused and even angry. I was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic colon cancer after a tumor was discovered in the small intestine. I went into surgery to have it removed and woke up in recovery with an iliostomy. Life goes on but it is so hard to adjust. It's ok to be scared, upset, angry. There were times when dying felt like a better option but of course it's not. You will adjust. Don't deny your feelings. People mean well with there comments but they are trying to cope with the "new" you also and sometimes they don't know what to do or say. I pray a lot. It's ok to show God your anger and fear. He'll give you peace and hope if you ask for it. Hope this helps a bit. Would like to know how you're doing.