I’m 25 yrs old and I’m a double AK. I lost both of my le

I’m 25 yrs old and I’m a double AK. I lost both of my legs in a car accident when I was 23yrs old. I have 2 children a 8yr old and a 6yr old...both boys. It’s been 2yrs and it’s still so hard to comprehend. What helps besides every morning waking up and trying to run to the bathroom and looking down and physically can’t??

1 Heart

welcome! does anyone in the group have any coping strategies they can share?

@norseduncan Music, being around animals, volunteering, comedy movies & music videos, getting out and around, either site seeing or doing errands, reading books. Simple stuff can get you through alot!

I lost my right leg below the knee in a car accident. I have been trying to make sense of the grieving stages. I have many questions I ask myself of how to "look at the bright side". There are many things I can't do anymore and it pains me to tears on many occasions. I am having a hard time coping as well. I would really appreciate some stories of coping as well.

@BM0887 Hi. I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through. They say no two people go through the same amputation experience, and that’s true, Yes, focusing on what you can still do, and on other positive things (“What a beautiful day”, “I love petting this animal”, “What a pretty bird/flower/tree”, “How thoughtful of person xyz to do abc for me”) can be a lift, and take your mind off of your loss; but if you’ve been an athletic person who’s been used to running about, I can understand the loss of your legs would be a bigger deal than for someone who can think “Well, I used to walk to get around, but now I get around in a wheelchair”. Have you talked about how you feel with a peer counselor or any fellow amputees? That helped me alot. If you like, you can always private message me. The only thing I need to mention about that, though, is I fall into the “Oh Well, plenty I can do in a wheelchair” group, Oh Yes-Have you been fitted with a prosthesis yet? If so, and if your adjustment to that has been going well, I hope you’ll keep in mind that as you adjust, you keep getting newer and more adaptive prostheses. There really won’t be ANY limit to what you can do.

I cope by taking each day as it comes, by celebrating accomplishments as they come along (I even re-arranged furniture in a room), by making sure I have errands and mini vacations each day, and by focusing on beauty and serenity (I live on Cape Cod, surrounded by the ocean, so that’s quite easy to do). I listen to music, spend time with animals and neighbors, watch comedy and mystery. That all takes me away from the situation and focuses me on the good elements of life.

@OhForPetesSake thank you very much. I live in a rural area where there are no amputee support groups. I plan to travel to a larger centre and participate in PTSD and Amputee groups. I’m really trying to see the good in all this but it does get hard to deal with at times. I appreciate your feed back and I thank you again.