I need a little help and advise

Hi my name is Lois, I am 56 and I am considering amputation of my right foot just below the knee. I am diabetic. I've had 4 surgeries on my feet. My last surgery I had my ankle fused because of pain and bone deteration, now I have movement in that ankle and my doctor advised me to have my foot amputated. I hate that word amputate! I just need to know how you felt after you had it done. I know everybody is different and I know you have to have your mind set as I can get though anything as long as I have God and my family. I can't say I'm not scared because I am, a lot. The doctor says I have 3 options: #1-I don't need it done, but I'd be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. #2-I could have a rod put up my ankle into my shin, to make it stable, but I'd be in a wheelchair at least 1 1/2 years and than I wouldn't know if it worked til than and the chances of infection is high. #3- amputation. I've had to put my life on hold for at least 4 years and that is why i'm doing option 3. Thank you

Well I cant make decisions for you, but do what is comfortable and best for you. Which option would work best and offer you more stability with yourself? Its all up to you, do what you feel is right for you.

My name Is Ronnie.I've been a carpenter for 30 years.Well untill Aug.13,2010 when my right leg was taken off below the knee. due to some stopped up blood vessels. In my case it has been the hardest thing I've ever been threw in my life,but I made it !!I For awhile. Then in Feb.2011 they had to go back and take 3 more inches off . Being an outsider type person has been tuff on me.Now I'm dealing with alot of depression. I feel lost .Not being able to go like use too. This is the first time I've talked to others like you about this .The only thing I can say to you Louis, is your not alone ,Buddy! Pray for me as I well for you all.

Lois, I'm Kathy, 59 and have Charcot's foot from the neuropathy caused by diabetes. I was wondering if you have sought a second, or third opinion? You may well have already had this proceedure done, and God Bless you if you have. I just believe in multiple opinions.

My name is Jim. I am also 56 and diabetic, I live in Houston. Let me briefly tell you my story. I drive a tow truck and am the only bread winner in my family. June 2011 I stepped out of my truck and on a nail with my right foot. There was a very small puncture on the bottom of my foot, however, it would not heal. A serious infection formed 2 weeks later and I was hospitalized and surgery was done to try and save my foot. After 11 months the foot was 98% healed it became re-infected much worse than before. I was again in the hospital in March of this year, it was determined that my foot would most likely need to be amputated. As you might imagine this was a HARD decision to make, then I was visited by an angel. He was a vascular surgeon and he told me something that I will never forget. He said "right now you can not nor will yout be able to walk on your foot again, lets amputate the foot, we should have you walking in 3 to 4 months and you can go on with your life".
I decided then and there that I was no longer going to sit around and "wait" for things to improve, I was going to get back to work!

I have 3 active grandchildren, and it kills my soul not to be a part of that. As soon a my foot was amputated I immediately felt better, I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not another train. I am not going to lie to you, it was the hardest decision that I have ever made.

I have spent all of my savings during my extended vacation and I need to go back to work. Yes it was painful, but they make drugs for that. It has been 4 weeks since my surgery...no more pain, I should get my new foot in 2 to 3 weeks, and after a little rehab I will "get on with my life". Lois, every one's situation is different, but they are also the same. Your life can change in a split second, sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better. At this point I think its all about what is best for you as an individual. I will be praying for you!

Hi Lois,

If you phone 1-888-AMP-KNOW, you could be match with another woman with the same or like situation.,

If you are able to have a Symes amputation, you may be able to walk to the bathroom without a prosthesis. It would be very useful in case of an emergency or evacuation or disaster. mY FEET WERE AMPUTATED, EXCEPT FOR THE HEEL & ANKLE. Symes IS THROUGH THE ANKLE. It needs to be done by a Dr who is successful with doing several of these.

BEING DIABETIC, HAVING SOMETHING ARTIFICIAL IN YOUR BODY IS A REAL RISK.

Hi i had an amputation my left foot i have heel and ankle left. no toes on rt. foot and half all fingers amput. they are having hell time with my left foot theres bones sticking out bottom. i was suppose to be able to walk on it alittle to bathroom and in case emergency. not happening . i am having problems even getting prostitic that fits . does anyone have advice on this. is there a comfortable prostitic you suggest.