I need some help, my parents absolutely refuse to let me becI need some help, my parents absolutely refuse to let me

I need some help, my parents absolutely refuse to let me become vegan, not even vegetarian. They try to persuade and sneak meat into my food. They try to tell me I am not getting enough nutrition as well. Tips??

1 Heart

Hi roroanny. I'd imagine your parents mean well. They come from a time when people honestly believed that if you didn't eat meat, you'd become ill. However, now it's known that a *healthy* vegetarian or vegan diet is indeed healthy. May I suggest you read up on how to eat healthy vegetarian or vegan? Not just a book or website with delicious recipes, but one that gives the details on how to get enough nutrition from that diet. Because that is what your parents are concerned about. Once you have the facts, and know you can stick to the recommendations, then try talking to your parents again. Even the federal govt. now acknowledges that a *healthy* vegetarian diet can be healthy. Best of luck!

1 Heart

I have given my parents many articles to read on the nutrition on non animals based products but they think that I am "too extreme" for trying to help save the lives of innocent animals. Thank you for the advice though!

1 Heart

You've done great. Sorry your parents are so rigid in their thinking. They think you're not getting enough nutrition. When you show them that you are getting enough nutrition, then they say you are "too extreme" for caring about animals. They sound inconsistent to me. Am I missing something here?

It is mostly my mom that opposes veganism. She is very stubborn and sticks to her ideas a believes that she is the most knowledgeable in a topic in health. Although I show her many prominent sources of research, in attempt to defend her position she'll says that my attitude is unacceptable and that I will have health related problems if this continues. I am currently trying to wait it out but lately she has been sneaking bits of meat into things I eat and forcing me to eat animal by-products. She has told me that I will lose privileges and other things. It has gotten to a point now that she will avoid any contact with me and if we do talk, it only becomes and argument. It has made me consider moving out of state for college. By the way, thank you for your replies and support, I highly appreciate it! @L2015

You're very welcome. So many have helped me here, glad to pass it on....It sounds like your mom has some emotional problems. So sorry. May I be blunt? When you show her scientific articles, she insists that she knows better. In my opinion, she is not acting rationally. Sneaking meat into your food and forcing you to eat animal byproducts is emotional abuse. It is unacceptable. It is a violation of your physical integrity. Threatening to take away your privileges sounds, in my opinion, like she is a controlling person. Then, her avoiding contact, and arguing is not a loving maternal position.

1 Heart

@L2015 (continued) I hope I haven’t offended you by what I’ve said. If I have, I apologize, and please ignore anything that isn’t helpful. Anyhow, to me it sounds like your mom has some emotional problems. And since you are living in her house, you really are subject to her rules. It seems to me that she doesn’t know how to discuss things rationally. Therefore you will only waste your breath in trying to convince her about the veganism. More fighting, more conflict, loss of privileges. So I personally can think of 3 options for you: Either give up arguing with her, and just not be vegan for now; you can start your vegan diet it once you get out of the house. Or like you said, go to a college out of town, or stay at your current college but move out of the house. Or tell her you will move out if her attitudes continue (not a threat, but as information and something you will act on.) You have a good heart. Sorry this is going on.

Do you work? Could you buy your own food? I'm really sorry about your situation. It's really remarkable how differently everyone thinks.

You're more likely to have illness from STRESS instead of nutrition inadequacies. Be smart. Eat healthily. Include proteins like soy and quinoa regularly. Eat healthy fats. Eat unprocessed. Be happy. Tell your parents to relax you won't turn green or grow antenna.

1 Heart

I'm extremely thankful for all the support that I have received! I've decided for myself that I will definitely push to still stay vegan while living with my parents. The comments posted helped to stabilize my beliefs in veganism and animal rights; thinking that I would not be able to stand harming another animal again for the rest of my life. I sincerely thank all of the replies that I have gotten from my post, thank you.

1 Heart