I seem to be one of the few totally successful hemicorporect

I seem to be one of the few totally successful hemicorporectomy amputees. I was in excellent shape when I had the operation four years ago, when I was 20. I was involved in track, exercise and competitive running. Although the operation itself was life threatening, I recovered remarkably fast. Now, at 24, I am completely recovered and consider myself in perfect health. I've finished college, live alone, drive and have a good job.

I have cosmetic legs attached to the prosthetic that enables me to sit upright, and use the legs 100% of the time, even thought they are a little inconvenient.

I have many acquaintances, even a few close acquaintances, but no friends. Everyone thinks I am paraplegic, which I never correct. I feel that my amputation will result in a lifetime of being alone, on the outside looking in. I feel like I am walking down a street in the dark of a winter night, seeing others in warmth and happiness through their picture windows as I am forced to remain on the cold street. The outside looking in.

When I dream, I still have entire body. I've sought therapy and my therapist suggests that I try to overcome the denial about my amputation, which I am doing joining this group.

1 Heart

Welcome, I am glad that you have come to SG. I am sorry that you are feeling lonely. You will find that you are not alone. This is a safe place where you can share your thoughts and struggles without judgement. It is wonderful to hear that you are in good health. I am proud of you and your accomplishments. Congratulations on finishing college. Please feel free to share with us anytime that you would like to.

1 Heart

I completely understand your feelings, I had the same surgery done a year ago due to an ongoing battle with bone cancer. I'm still trying to adjust, but I'm doing much better, and no longer fighting cancer. I hope you're doing well, and believe me you're not alone. My family and small group of true friends have helped me get through this painful journey, and I'd be lost without them. I tried to find a survivors group for this surgery on Facebook but no luck, as I'm sure you've also discovered. There's not many of us, and I can only speak for myself, but for the most part I don't want to be bothered or have to deal with unwanted attention. Keep hanging in there!

1 Heart