I think I may have sleep apnea, and I'm taking steps to have

I think I may have sleep apnea, and I'm taking steps to have a sleep study to find out. I've made an appointment with a doctor for an initial consultation, but the first available time is in a month (November 20th). Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Anything I can do to alleviate symptoms now without a CPAP? Anything I should be reading to learn more about it? Thanks everyone!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/search/search-results?q=sleep%20apnea%20treatment
This comes from the mayo clinic, its a great resource for all medical questions. Check it out. Hugs

1 Heart

@sunny85 Thank you – very helpful resource.

hello feyluker275 , this is irish69. i was told by a theripest that i have sleep apnea also, but i am living with it symtons free. let me know how it turns out for you. i am a 69 year old vietnam vet [man] take care

@irish69 Perhaps your sleep apnea is mild enough that it does not have a big impact on you. I usually do feel sleepy/tired all the time, even when I've gotten some sleep. This might not be due to sleep apnea, as I have other issues that have led to a chaotic sleep schedule and I often have a big sleep deficit. But I've had two people express concern that I probably have it after they heard my snoring and breathing patterns at night. Will try to do a sleep study so i can know one way or the other.

Sorry you're going through this. My husband and father in law have this as well, Is there anyway to move your appointment up?
Before he got his cpap my hubby proppes himself up with pillow s so his upper body was in an angle, that seemed to helo a bit.
Also my father in law actually was able to stop using a cpap after a while after losing 60 lbs. I'msure its not a weight thing fir everyone but hubby never had snored until he gained.
Good luck! Hope you get a good nihjts sleep soon.

@fracasmama I will try propping myself up at an angle to see if that helps. It could be weight-related for me in that I have put on some pounds over the last few years. I did snore before that though.

I'm not sure what it is called but there is an oral appliance that some dentists are providing patients with sleep apnea. It is designed in a way that brings the lower jaw forward as a person lays down..... our lower jaws fall back and restrict the neck airways which can cause sleep apnea for a person. You should see if your dentist is familiar with this appliance and if it would work for you.

@Bria869 Thanks – I’ve read a bit about the oral appliances now, and it sounds like a potential alternative if CPAP doesn’t work out for me. I will keep it in mind when I have my sleep study and diagnosis.