I was a Psychiatric Nurse for 44 years. In 2001, I was savagI was a Psychiatric Nurse for 44 years. In 2001, I was

I was a Psychiatric Nurse for 44 years. In 2001, I was savagely beaten by a patient and was off work for 3 months recovering from the injuries. I continued to work, and was constantly assessing myself as to why I was so irritable, so short in responses, no patience with the MD's, hardly able to open the locked door to my unit and many times I would run back to my car and go home. I was missing a lot of work as I could not bear the thought of going on that locked unit 'one more time'. My Nurse Manager was no support---she told me "You are an RN, you need to just deal with it". No one was listening to me or noticing the signs and symptoms I was displaying. I was tearful, anxious, extreme startle response, would not be where my back was to a door, nightmares sometimes beyond belief. I felt I would kill myself when one wonderful person approached me and said, "You are so fragile, come with me and I can help you". I was diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety NOS, Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks, and continuing pain in my neck. This was the second time I applied as the first time in 2004 was refused. I have been on worker's comp. now since 2009. I see two Psychiatrists every month, take the meds. I am prescribed and try to get by every day. I cannot go buy groceries anymore and have to send my children. I feel like a prisoner on so many levels and I feel stuck. I have not been able to find any support groups for Nurses with PTSD in my state. All support groups I have found are for Military only. We nurses with PTSD are the invisibles. We are not recognized as we suffer. I could write a book here, but I won't. I'm sure there will be another time.

2 Hearts

hugs and support to you. there is an amazing group of people here, many suffering with PTSD who are not in the military as well. How did therapy go for you? Have you tried EMDR work for trauma? Do you find relief in your medications? Hugs to you, we are here for you.