I was diagnosed with type 1 genital herpes. I met a guy I liI was diagnosed with type 1 genital herpes. I met a guy I

I was diagnosed with type 1 genital herpes. I met a guy I like a whole lot and absolutely can't tell him. I'm in college and I know it would get around. I got my first outbreak 2 months ago and ever since haven't really had issues except tiny irritation rarely. How contagious am I if I use a condom & how else can I prevent spreading this :(

You shld not have sex with or without protection without disclosing. There is always a risk and would be unfair to put someone in that posituon. Think of your own status now and what that means to your life. I suggest you tell him and you appreciate confidentiality because its personal and no business of anyones. If he shares it deny it. Medication and protection reduce risk not prevent. Think about your decision carefully.

1 Heart

You also shouldn't sleep with someone if you do not trust him enough to respect you enough to not tell anyone

2 Hearts

what medication can prevent
the spread? valtrex?

1 Heart

@sarahbbb valtrex can minimize spreading it but it won't preventit. There will still be a risk of spreading it.

There is no way to prevent it full stop. There is viral shedding which means the virus is active but no lesions thus you can transmit at any other time as you dont really know when its happening.
at the end of the day it is unfair not to disclose given the repercussions for someone who you may pass it too. Personally i would never not tell.