I was officially diagnosed with HSV-2 about a week ago. I’

I was officially diagnosed with HSV-2 about a week ago. I’m having a super hard time with it and I’m confused on exactly where I got it from. I’ve been with my partner for 4 years and he doesn’t have it. My ex partner before him, was sleeping with a girl that had HSV while he was with me and he had contracted it as well but I didn’t find out until later on. He was sleeping with her for at least 6 months or more while I was with him. It’s been 5 years since I was with him. I never really had any symptoms aside from maybe a small rash here and there that I passed off as razor burn or cutting myself while shaving, and it only happened a few times over the years so I’m really not sure if it was actual outbreaks or if it was just a rash or cut from shaving. I started getting actual outbreaks about 6 months ago, and they’ve been BAD. I finally called the doctor and got tested because it kept happening and I started realizing it could be HSV. What I’m a little confused about is that I talked to my mother about this and she told me that she had always thought she had it but was too afraid to get tested over the years and I’ve accidentally mistaken her razor for mine a couple times in the shower. Is it possible to get HSV from something like that? Or is it more likely that I got it from my ex-partner? I’m just confused why my outbreaks would start 6 months ago when I haven’t been with him in 5 years. Any advice would be helpful. I’m going through a lot right now and I’m very very stressed and emotional about it. thanks!

@BHLH1993 What you are going through is normal when you are first diagnosed. The chances of you getting it from a razor are extremely small. The virus does not survive very long outside the body and is readily killed by most soap. The source could have been an ex, or in some cases yourself if you have HSV1 oral it is possible to transfer it to yourself. It was once common for babies to get HSV1 oral from being kissed by an adult and the baby growing up and not knowing until something triggers an outbreak. HSV2 can be the same. You could have been exposed as a teenager and then never have symptoms for decades but have the virus dormant until something, often stress, illness, or sometimes an ageing immune system can trigger it. If you were very stressed before the outbreaks that could be why they started. I found out I had it when I was going through a huge amount of stress and had my first identifiable outbreak, over 15 years after exposure. I learned that managing stress is very important for me to be able to manage my HSV2. Please read the handbook at the top, and the many posts on here so you can learn, be empowered, and confident in your knowledge. We are all here to support each other. Good luck.

1 Heart

@JayRob40 Thank you! When I saw the doctor, they said I was positive for HSV 2 but didnt say anything about HSV 1 aside from telling me the difference between the two. You mentioned that children can get it orally from being kissed. Should I be worried about things like that with my daughter? Shes 3 and ever since I found out Ive been worried that I could somehow transmit it to her and I would be devastated if anything happened to her. Thank you so much for your advice, Im having a really hard time and Im happy I could find a support group like this because its helpful to be able to talk to people who are going through the same thing.

@BHLH1993
Welcome the group!
what we endorse here is to NOT focus on who or where you acquired "The Gift That Keeps On Giving". it's a moot point and will not change, so why even waste energy on the topic!

be grateful that your partner is okay with it, and you haven't passed it! that speaks volumes! you may want him tested anyhow just for precautionary measures.

know that "Knowledge is Power & Power is Confidence"! we have a great ***FREE HANDBOOK*** link pinned at the top for you to study and read. please please please download and read the handbook with your b/f and study it together! in case you don't see the link, here it is again:

https://westoverheights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Updated-Herpes-Bo...

@a_survivor Thank you!

BHLH No, it is not likely that you got HSV2 from a razor. I was with my ex for a very long time, maybe a couple of years, before I had my first bad outbreak. There were symptoms. At one point I thought I had a yeast infection. I even bought medicine for it which burned badly when I applied it. It was a long time later I got the outbreak. My outbreaks are triggered by stress. So, most of the time, I don't have a problem. I think there are a lot of people who don't know they have it for a variety of reasons. My ex who gave it to me didn't know he had it. Chances are you got it from you last boyfriend if you're sure you didn't get it from the current one.

1 Heart

@mmadlecl Thank you, I very much appreciate it!